A Boy and His Big Blue Dream...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far ad wrecks are concerned, truk lagoon and the NC coast....tons of awesome wrecks!

The 60 question exams are a joke...they totally dumbed that down.

Good Moooooorning Scubaboard!

Hope all you lovely ladies and gentlemen are enjoying some fresh spring weather. Also hope ya’ll enjoyed your holidays, and perhaps your respective underwater Easter egg hunts. I know I did. Of course, being here in Mexico and away from my dear family and friends, Easter was spent without my old traditions (colored eggs, slight hangover, big helpings of lambs meat). But this makes way for new tradition (tacos, more tacos, and TACOS).

As to actual Divemaster related skills, check off the stamina tests and the first exam from our list. Also, took care of the practical application – deep dive scenario. As some of you have pointed out, part A of the exam was quite easy. It was almost disturbingly easy. However, I expect big things from the theory, physiology, and quantum physics portion of the exam. So I’m hitting the library and cranking out all nighters in anticipation. It’s like being back in college, but here we study with masks on. Literally.

Our dives this week consisted of Playa Del Carmen reefs as well some Cozumel. Playa’s reefs may not be the healthiest (predation, bleaching, and a bit run down unfortunately) but their wildlife was off the hook, as they say. Logger head turtles the size of refrigerators and eagle rays the size of mid-size compact cars. In fact, we saw one turtle munching away on some sea grass. We got so close we could almost touch him. But remember kids, we don’t touch or ride the sea creatures. Cause they don’t ride us. And I think that is fair agreement between wildlife and humans. You wouldn’t want a sea creature riding you now would you? Ok, moving on…

C.O.Z.U.M.E.L. Let me say that Cozumel lives up to its reputation. Also let me say that a massive wall dive with a strong drift is something akin to flying. Or like watching an underwater episode of Planet Earth on fast forward. Mind bending stuff. After our deep and swift dive, we mellowed out on a site called Paradise. Saw my first seahorse and almost wet my 3mm. O M G. What crazy little creatures. Again, we don’t ride sea horses. As they are far too small and cute. But there are horse rides available along the streets of Cozumel if you really get the itch. So moral of the story, if you have the chance, go to Cozumel. You won’t be disappointed. But you probably knew that already.

Now while I’m training to become a Divemaster, I also am an intern. It’s like DM training on steroids. Not only do I do the yummy DM stuff, but I also get to work for a dive shop and immerse myself in the experience. Remember your first summer internship? Well instead of getting coffee for your boss, you get tanks. But also get to scuba dive like a mad man, and learn the intricate, customer-centric (thank you PADI) side of the business. It’s a feast for the mind and soul. Think about it…

Till we meet again,

Patrick.

You are all welcome for the reminder! It is coming up before you know it. Quick show of hands if your mother introduced you to Scuba diving! (author raises hand…) Keep your hand raised if you also dive in your mom’s old BCD? (hand…still…up…). Come to think about it, we all shared our first scuba diving experience with our mothers. How is that you ask? Think about it….give up yet? The womb! That is right people. We were all Open Water certified for 9 months before we even saw the light of day. Is this why we feel a sense of peace and tranquility when we float under the sea? Perhaps. Except this time, we are in the womb of a different mother – mother earth. Trippy isn’t it? I’ll stop before we get too deep, as this blog should not require decompression stops…

So speaking of trippy, we had to do our 15 minute tread this week. Not a normally trippy experience, except we did our tread at night, in the open ocean. While treading, I distinctly remembered the opening scene in Jaws with the girl swimming out into the deep dark ocean. And, well you know the rest. However, having been scuba diving with sharks, you come to appreciate their beauty and relative innocence. Maybe if more people went Scuba diving with sharks, then they would truly see these creatures for what they are. This is not an endorsement to throw your friends into a shark tank…...

As for Divemaster progress, we have been chopping away at all the Practical Skills. My personal favorite is the dive briefing. As part of building our media archive, my fellow Divemaster candidate, Bradley, filmed our most recent dive briefings (once properly edited I will be sure to share it with you all). It reminded me of my first public speaking engagement in Mrs. Hill’s 3rd grade class. Except this time I didn’t run to the nurse’s office insisting that I was sick and needed to go home or else I was going to spontaneously combust. In fact, I felt pretty good about the briefing. I’m curious dear readers, as to what you feel makes a good or bad dive briefing. Please feel free to include examples and or funny anecdotes.

And in the meantime, don’t forget to call your mother on Mother’s Day!!!

Peace & Love,

Patrick

The most wasted of all days is that during which one has not laughed.
- Nicolas Chamfort (1741-94)

There is a time when a boy will become a man. And at 26, even though I have the heart, and infectious laughter, of a child, I would consider myself a man. Yet there are times when our mettle will be tested. This past week was one of those times. Our fearless leader and mentor Jose, was called away on business to Mexico City. This left your favorite young interns (Bradley, Patrick) in charge of their very own diving operation! Woohoo! Playa Del Carmen + No Boss + Empty Apartment = PARTYYYYYY. Right? Wrong. As it goes, it turned out to be one of our busiest weeks to date (diving included Puerto Morelos, Playa Del Carmen, Dos Ojos, more Dos Ojos, and even some of that underwater eye candy known as Cozumel). Not a bad spread. The kicker was that we were in the drivers seat – don’t worry, we weren’t leading dives, as we are not certified yet, but rather we used an extensive contact list of Cave guides, DM’s, and Instructors at our disposal. What we DID do was everything else. Answer phone calls, coordinate boats, process reservations, open the shop, maintain the shop, close the shop, prepare gear, rinse gear, get tanks, drop off tanks, marketthe shop, make sure everyone paid or got paid, fix underwater torches , replace regulator mouthpieces (cause evidently they are tasty?), make sure the finances were kept in line, make sure the guests had a great time, brush our teeth, get some sleep, occasionally shower, and deal with any of the other 1 zillion things that come up while getting people in and out of the water. I’m now tired after having typed that. But this is what Brad and I signed up for. We didn’t sign up to party (other than our night off….ok and maybe a couple of other late nights here and there). We did sign up to get an intense look at the diving industry all whilst completing our Divemaster curriculum. Guess we all have to prioritize at some point.

So did we survive a week without our boss? I’m here typing this blog/thread, so yes, we survived. And deep down inside, as hectic as the situation might have been, it reassured me that the professional diving world is one that I want to be part of. Would I want to run my own show, maybe, maybe not? It is far too early to tell. But never ever say never ever.

OK. Boss is back. Gotta go.

Till next time.

Hugs and Kisses,

Patricio.

Hola!

There is no denying the bond between scuba divers. I see it everyday here on Scuba Board and I see it everyday in the water. Places where people are sharing their love for a majestic sport on a daily basis. This is the eternal brotherhood (and sisterhood) of scuba diving. What really revs my engines is the prospect of making new friends on a regular basis. Friends and dive buddies who share experiences, knowledge, an occasional alcoholic beverage, and beaming smiles. What more could you ask for?

This past week, we had an old friend (Mario) introduce us to a new friend (Lindsay). We got to take our friends to one of the most exhilarating and unique cenotes on the Yucatan – Angelita. Imagine, if you will, descending into history itself with a final destination of 120 ft. But wait, what is that at 90ft? Is it the bottom? No, it is a thick layer of hydrogen sulfide formed by decomposing leaf litter. Tree branches jutting out like skeleton arms. So picture a creepy prehistoric swamp-cenote with two distinct layers to explore. Throw in a resident crocodile, and my friends, you have yourself an adventure. Not only is there the thrill of the dive itself, but also the joy of seeing other people experience something so magical and eye opening. Sitting their in silence, floating in the jungle, we knew that we were in a special place at a special time in our lives. To share that is pure ecstasy.

After Angelita, we packed our gear and headed to Grand Cenote for our second tank. Now while Dos Ojos is the big daddy cenote on the Yucatan, Grand Cenote is a very close second. The limestone formations and looming stalagmites make this place absolutely radiant. It is akin to being in an underwater cathedral. So yes, cenotes are an amazing place to dive, and the more I experience them, the more I come to appreciate and love them. Gliding through the cool water, it is easy to understand why the Mayans worshipped these spectral places. Come experience them for yourself!

On the divemaster front, both exams are over and done with. Over the course of 120 questions, 2 answers wrong. Now I don’t say this to brag. Rather, perhaps the new version of PADI’s curriculum is too easy? I’m sure they have their reasons for adjusting the exams, but that point is lost on me at the moment. Deep down, I wanted these exams to be a bit more of a challenge. So I will continue to practice my skills, and still read the Encyclopedia (bible). The learning doesn’t stop at any point in the career of an aspiring professional diver. And now I need to go put some kit away. Woooo!

Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease.

-Patrick.

How's it going pat??? Finish yet??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom