A buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive *within recreational limits* with a buddy who has no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 90 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 153 53.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I'm antisocial, I don't want a buddy in the first place

Votes: 34 11.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason Ooi:
Yes! but too short, I prefer standard octopus :wink:
yes, but isn't the person with the Air2 supposed to hand off thier primary,and use the Air2?
btw-my buddy uses an Air2 and that's how we do it, i want one but can't afford it (yet!)
-me

A second second stage doesn't weigh a whole lot. If you're really scared that it might break, just bring an allen key, a little wrench and a port plug. Like that if your fear ever becomes reality, just get rid of the octo and plug the port.

What would Jacques do?

If Jacques Cousteau came back and showed up without an octo would you dive with him?

For some motivation on bare bones diving, just read or reread the classic The Silent World.

9 out of 10 people will say it can't be done, the exception will just do it. Go for it ScottB.

Water Science:
What would Jacques do?
Probably molest some fish into doing something in front of his cameraman.
Water Science:
9 out of 10 people will say it can't be done, the exception will just do it. Go for it ScottB.
Obviously, it can be done, but "Just do it" isn't the smart way to go about it. Don't dive without an alternate unless you're comfortable sharing air without one.

the question was/is too broad. Every one here says no and in fact many dive charters/ops here in the USA will not let you dive without some secondary air source...saying that, there are as many ways to dive safe as there are divers. I would rather dive with Ol Jacques with no 2nd air as with 99% of all the others with 3 air sources.

Dive safe, dive smart, dive with a qualified buddy

Back
Top Bottom