A chance for some of you to go to Erie with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Usually trips to Erie don't get posted here and as a result y'all miss out on some great diving. I spoke with Jim from Osprey Charters last night. There is a dive planned for Thursday, August 20th out of Barcelona Harbor to the Dean Richmond. Osprey's site says the Dean and the Dean. I called him to verify that both dives would be on the Dean. He was a bit puzzled at this listing since usually the second dive is on the Indiana. In talking with him he asked if doing the Dean and a brand new wreck would be ok. I said SURE! This is a steel steamer that went down in the 20's-30's from all indications. As of last evening this wreck has not been dove on! That may change before August 20th but in any case it would still allow us to be some of the first divers on this wreck. This does not happen often. The Dean is a great dive with nice penetration for those so inclined it is in 115-120 feet and the new wreck is at 85 on a hard sandy bottom. If you want to do this sign up on Osprey;s site and send me a pm with questions and letting me know you want to do this. Doc Harry and I will be going so far that I know of and Jim tells me there is still room. I am hoping to get some trips organized for more Erie dives when they are available. this will allow me to get an idea of interest for setting these up. Water temps at depth will be in the 40's. Plan accordingly. So anyone from WVa, MD, and Virginia who would like to dive on a new wreck and one not so new but a fantastic dive get in touch with me.

Man I wish I could, I have the weekend before that in Hatteras diving with JT. Just can't swing the cash for both.
I have dove with Osprey before & actually the Richmond was 1 of the 4 dives we did with them.
They are a top flight op. 40 on the bottom is right on, but the thermocline will be at about 70 so the hangs are not bad at all.

Still have open spots for this trip. I know it's a weekday and I did have to take a vacation day to do it myself but it's worth it. So c'mon, get your spot reserved on Osprey's site and let me know when you do!

Jim,

Checking with my dive buddy. We've been wanting to get to Erie for a couple of years. 6 hour drive each way but what the he**? Should know in a day or so.

Cool! Boat leaves the dock at 9:30 am. There are a number of hotels listed on Osprey's website VERY close to the marina. Maybe you'd come up wed evening dive thurs AM and be back home by 8 or 9 pm. That's what I'd do. As it is I'm planning in leaving by 6:30 at the latest to get there.

That will be a tough dive on an Alum 80 Eric. It sits on its side so most of the dive will be at well over 100ft deep.
Just a lot to go through for 10-15 min BT. IMHO
Now if you lived closer or I was in between you & there I could loan you my single LP121s that are collecting dust in my garage. With a proper fill you could do the dive with 30 min BT & some Deco & still surface with over 1000psi. Not to mention taking at least 4lbs off your belt.

The dean is actually turtled. It is not on it's side. But he is correct about the al80. If you really want to do it I have two LP95'S you could use. I'll get em pumped to about 3000 or so and you'd end up with a 105+. more than enough gas for the dive with 15-20 min bottom time. You won't do much more in 40 degree water if you are not used to it. If you feel short with that I even have a 30 or a 19 you could sling. Just pay for the refills. 15 bucks or so should do it. But you gotta reserve and let me know in advance.

Jim, can I loan you my 130's, you fill 'em with mix and I then pay you the 15 bucks? When we're done diving you give the thanks back to me. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom