A cheap strobe option and other questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an el cheapo strobe (i had a bonica multi snapper and strobe kit that i think i took down a total of once - i've never liked film photography and underwater didnt seem to make it any more palatable)

Now, I'm in the process of reading several underwater photo books and realize that there are other strobes out there with many fancy options - level controls either manual or from the camera etc.

However, this strobe seems to have just 1 - on and off. It is triggered by and external flash, and I've done experiments with my C5050 and in slave mode the flash is truly sinced with the camera flash - i.e. slave mode turns off the typical digital preflash so that is one hurdle out of the way.

My question is, what would i be missing by sticking with this and its single level of intensity? I could also rig up some difuser for it to reduce its power some.

If this is a reasonable option, then it could save some people with the Bonica series of cameras (and as i understand it Sealife cameras as well) some considerable money in another external flash if they wanted to step into the digital world.

Second question, does the difuser on the PT series of housings still cause backscatter or should i try to block that completely so that it only triggers the external strobe?

Here are the specs on the Bonica strobe:

Depth Rating: 150'
Guide Number: 66' 20m) ISO 100)
Coverage Angle: 60ª
Color Tem-perature: 5700ªK
Power Source: 4 AA-size alkaline batteries
Flashes per Set of Batteries: About 120
Cycle Time: About 7 sec.
Weight: 2.2 lbs. 1kg), including batteries
Dimensions: 10.5Wx21.5"H 26.5x54.5cm)
Flotation: Positive

thanks,

steve

Steve ...cant hurt to try it out on a test run …. Especially since you own it….

But If your going to take the U/W photo thing further than you did with film i.e. "the strobe has been used once".....Then I might invest in a strobe meant for digital use. what you have there could be used for macro stuff as that angle of coverage in the specs of 60 degrees would leave dark areas in a wide angle application or as you got further from your subject. Plus the recycle time…7 sec…. is rather slow....I think the cameras flash recycle time is around 3 seconds (which will ultimately drive the rate at which you snap off pictures using strobes/flash....unless you are hardwired to the camera)....

This all being said you can still get pretty good shots without the use of external strobes if you using it close and in "clean and clear water" just look around the board here…..lots of great shots without the use of an external strobe

Just my thoughts :wink:

The diffuser on any housing or strobe is NOT what caused backscatter. It's the angle, or lack of it, of the strobe and the amount of particulates in the water. I think what you're getting at is the internal flash of the camera goes straight out, bounces of particulates in the water and comes straight back into the camera. Results in ALOT of backscatter. With an external strobe, the flash is bounced off particulate at an angle so less is recorded by the camera.

To answer your question....yes, cover the diffuser panel totally or you'll still have straight out and back light patterns.

Back
Top Bottom