A couple of regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I recently picked up these regulators, thought they were interesting.

I believe the strap on the one was to enable you to strap the reg to your face.

2012-07-26_12-41-01_122.jpg

Keith

Now it's refered to as a necklace, and it is used on the secondary by tech divers. I still use one on my primary, as I found the long hose thing not usefull in my diving.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Yeah... the strap would make it DIR compliant... just kidding... :D

We always used to cut off the mouthpiece tabs for those straps back in the 70's... and now they are a big rage...
Back then we didn't consider it wise to strap anything around your neck for any water sport. You were supposed to take off your scuba gear with minimum number of quick releases.

Luis
You are so corect!
However the manufactures keep on producing the straps and we keep cutting them off..Some years ago I had a draw full of them which I pulled off my class regs. A few months ago I discovered a SCUBA Pro "strap" made from a peice of poly pro line...suspect tha you also recall that one
That one SCUBA Star maybe valuable for having an intact strap mount--Probably the most valuable part of the two regs..

SDM

Luis
You are so corect!
However the manufactures keep on producing the straps and we keep cutting them off..Some years ago I had a draw full of them which I pulled off my class regs. A few months ago I discovered a SCUBA Pro "strap" made from a peice of poly pro line...suspect tha you also recall that one
That one SCUBA Star maybe valuable for having an intact strap mount--Probably the most valuable part of the two regs..

SDM

Are you referring to the one with the metal clip that you were supposed to attach to your harness or something?
I had one on my Mk-5/ 109 that I just wrapped around the hose for many years.

Actually, in Michigan during the early 1960s, we left the neck strap on to keep the 2nd stage handy. At that time, the accepted arm sweep method of regulator recovery wasn't taught as Double Hoses were still in demand and the single hose was just making itself known.

Are you referring to the one with the metal clip that you were supposed to attach to your harness or something?
I had one on my Mk-5/ 109 that I just wrapped around the hose for many years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That was the one..black poly pro. The clip was a covered electrical alligator clip. I guess I should have asked some one a SCUBA Pro about it. Too late now!

For some unknown reason poly pro in black was impossible to find but yellow was and is still very plentiful.

Thanks for the info on the strap mount. I figured I could probably learn a thing or two!

Those are 1960 regulators.

The first stages are basic non balanced piston.

I don’t know for sure about the second stages, but at least the right one looks like it may be an up-stream needle valve type of demand valve. I am assuming that based on the pressure relief valve that is visible on the bottom of the first stage on the right.

I can’t tell much more about them other that they were never good performers.

Back
Top Bottom