a diving spree! (m/v spree 7/24-28)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
what a great time!

larry (da aquamaster) and i went on a trip to the dry tortugas last week. the boat was the m/v spree, captained by frank (wookie). the trip was set up by diver's den in baltimore, and cdreamer was the point person. we flew (my first time flying with dive gear - yikes!) to ft lauderdale & hooked up with some other folks from diver's den. c & f had been on our first date (an nc wreck trip) 2 years ago, so it was great to see them, and we also met three fairly new divers who were going to do their aow on board. we took a van shuttle to key west and met the other divers (we were i think 15 total) and the crew of 7 or so.

everyone was a good, safe diver who listened to briefings. a huge percentage did all 16 dives, which the captain said was unusual. as far as i know, there weren't any incidents except one couple got a bit mixed up on a night dive & came on up & swam in instead of coming up the line, but they weren't far away. nobody had to use the dingy of shame, and the only injuries were bruises and skinned knuckles from putting wet suits on. i don't even think anyone got nauseous the whole time!

the boat feels spacious. the food was excellent & plentiful. the crew were personable & fun & pleasant & helpful. briefings were entertaining, especially the reef models made of random dive gear and the laminated correct amount of toilet paper. should it be called head paper? whatever. there were interesting discussions about diving & non-diving topics. there were totally inane discussions, too, mainly about karaoke. :)

the reefs in the dry tortugas were the nicest i've seen, without bleaching or looking chewed up. there were *huge* numbers of different fish & other creatures. we saw a few goliath grouper, several morays, i saw my first nudi, there were crabs galore. i think one group saw a nurse shark, but i didn't see any sharks this trip. 14 of our dives were on the reefs. 3 were night dives. the last 2 dives were on the vandenburg, which is a new (1 year old) artificial reef off of key west. the spree limits your dive start time to within 20 minutes of declaring the pool open, but not your bottom time. i guess we averaged 50 minutes per dive.

the only thing i'd change if i could would be doors on the berth areas. there is plenty of privacy for changing, etc, but not for...potential other stuff. and perhaps a canopy or umbrella on the top deck, but that's just because i burn to a crisp if my pasty whiteness sees the sun. other folks enjoyed the sun deck a bunch. i brought a few too many clothes, but basically i was happy with my packing & i like to have insurance in case of food spills or something.

it was a great time with wonderful diving & lots of new friends. it is a newbie-friendly boat on rec trips, so don't be afraid to give it a try. larry's looking at going on a tech trip, so i might have that to report on this fall - we'll see. frank & his wife & mate melanie are terrific people & pull the strings just right to keep the trip flowing. many thanks to them & the crew!

Last edited:
Where are the pictures? :)

Princess Marci of the Tortugas
Marci.jpg

that's a nice shot, larry, thanks. if only i had on a bit of lipstick...and do you think i have enough computers? though the bottom timer in my pocket isn't in the shot...i should have had it on my right wrist.

The pink zip tie is a lovely touch -- but how is it that Larry manages never to be in anybody's pictures?

yep, wearing three & a bottom timer in my pocket...

The pink zip tie is a lovely touch -- but how is it that Larry manages never to be in anybody's pictures?
Larry has the camera...and it adds more mystery that way.

Besides, there is that horrible ironing scar that ruined my underwear modeling career.

There was another diver on board who has indicated an intent to e-mail pictures to the other interested divers, and he showed interest in the Shrek hood during the trip, so who knows...

The pink reg covers are on her sidmount rig, and they would have looked nice with the pink tiarra hood.

I haven't seen all the pictures but i really hope someone got one of you 2 together.
That is a really good one of you Marci!

yep, wearing three & a bottom timer in my pocket...

Marcilabeled.jpg

The trip was hard on computers however as by day 3 the boat had all of their spares and loaners in use, Marci had loaned out her Nitek Plus, and my Luna had failed leaving me with *only* my Predator.

I think it was the proximity to the Bermuda Triangle that did it.

Or it could have been this guy - I saw him following Marci and trying to eat her exhaust bubbles - very suspicious fish behavior.

Angel_fish_2.jpg

Or imaybe this one - he just looks guilty sitting there...

Squirrel_fish2.jpg

Or it could be THIS. I am pretty sure it is the colony where the really tiny aliens live...

Coral112.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom