A few pics from Port Hardy/Browning Pass trip aboard the Nautilus Swell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob1967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our group recently (October 2014) did a trip aboard the Nautilus Swell out of Port Hardy, Northern Vancouver Island, to dive the famous Browning Pass and nearby areas. Despite the inclement weather, we had a great time! As was mentioned in other threads, the Nautilus Swell will cease operating as a dive boat at the end of this year, which is quite sad. The Port Hardy/Browning Pass area has, in my opinion, the best cold-water diving in the world. Although there are no longer any live-aboard options for the area, there are still two dive resorts in the area (Browning Pass Hideaway and God's Pocket Resort), as well as a day-trip operator out of Port McNeill (Sun Fun divers). All three operations are run by great people who know the area well, and they each offer different levels of amenities to cater to different budgets, but all offer the same fabulous diving! They all deserve our continued support and patronage so that we can continue to enjoy diving this fabulous area.

All of my pictures were shot using my Canon EOS M, Nauticam housing, and dual Sea & Sea strobes (YS-01 + YS-02). I shoot in full manual mode, RAW, with minor adjustments done in post in iPhoto. I have indicated the lens used with each photo. I have always thought of myself as more of a macro person, but for some reason I found myself drifting more into wide-angle this trip!

Tiny Pacific Lumpsucker on kelp (Canon 60 mm macro lens with Nauticam SMC accessory wet lens):
IMG_2987-L.jpg

Tiny Lumpsucker hiding on crab appendage (Canon 60 mm macro lens):
IMG_2992-L.jpg

Diver reaches out to Hooded nudibranch (Canon EF-M 11-22 wide angle lens, at 11 mm):
IMG_3221-L.jpg

Pair of wolf-eels at Fantasy Island (Deserter Islands group) (Canon EF-M 18-55 kit lens with +2 dry diopter, at 22 mm):
IMG_3320-L.jpg

Giant Pacific Octopus at Fantasy Island (Canon EF-M 18-55 lens with +2 diopter, at 20 mm):
IMG_3345-L.jpg

Gorgonian garden at Barry Islet (Canon EF-M 11-22, at 12 mm):
IMG_3431-L.jpg

Red Irish Lord at Barry Islet (Canon EF-M 11-22 at 22 mm):
IMG_3467-L.jpg

Kelp gunnel at Seven Tree Island. Here is an example of a close-focus wide-angle shot. The Canon 11-22 can actually focus very close, which is nice. This was at 22 mm, and the gunnel was very close to my dome port:
IMG_3517-L.jpg

Right after I photographed the gunnel, I saw this nice Giant Pacific Octopus slowly trying to slink away from me! (Canon EF-M 11-22 at 22 mm):
IMG_3522-L.jpg

The octo tried to camouflage on a kelp stalk, and I got my dive-buddy Rod to pose behind him (Canon EF-M 11-22 at 11 mm):
IMG_3542-L.jpg

Opalescent nudibranch (these guys were everywhere!) (Canon EF-S 60 mm macro):
IMG_3643-L.jpg

Hooded nudibranch in kelp forest (there were millions of hooded nudibranchs everywhere in the shallows, but they still make great photo subjects!). Another close-focus wide-angle shot, with the Canon EF-M 11-22 at 12 mm:
IMG_3721-L.jpg

Our home for the week:
IMG_3241-M.jpg

Beautiful images! You're correct about how great the diving is there. We loved our trip aboard the Swell in September so much that we are now #6 on the waiting list for Cate's Island and just signed up for God's pocket in August.

Love that shot of the octopus with your buddy Rob; it just begs for a caption.

Richard.

Great photos !! Brings back fond memories of some of my trips to Port Hardy. Made several trips on the Sea Venturer and the Lady Goodiver when they were in operation. Too bad there are no more liveaboard options :depressed: We used to load up the van in Red Deer, and make a 21 hour trek (ferry time included) a couple of times a year.

The shots from Barry Islet remind me of the large fields of colorful gorgonian corals. Barry Islet is my deepest dive at 155 feet, and the colorful corals continued on into the depths. There was a wolf eel there that we always found - his nickname was "Chuck".

For those who have never been to Port Hardy, it would be worth the time and expense to make the trek :)

Divegoose

Wow! I have seen many, many photographs and videos from the area, and have made three trips there of my own, and I have never heard of anybody finding lumpsuckers there. Congratulations on great photos!

Really too bad about the Swell. It looked to be a great boat to dive from.

I think you need a new name Rob - lumpsuckerwhisperer Seems everywhere you go you find these little guys.

Great shots as always.

Thanks Doug, TSandM, and all the others for the positive comments! :)

I like the nickname "lumpsucker whisperer"! One definitely needs to develop an eye for spotting those little cuties! They are much smaller than most people imagine!

I also have to give you credit Doug (aka DArnold) for being one of the first people to really inspire me in underwater photography. I still remember being at the Hideaway about 5 years ago, and seeing your beautiful underwater photos on your laptop, in particular a really sharp and colourful pic of a Red Irish Lord, and being overwhelmed by a feeling of "Wow, I want to take photos like that!!!" :)

What wonderful images! I especially enjoyed the kelp gunnel, the Irish Lord, and the unique shot of the hooded nudi. As Max (Phil) said, we're counting the days 'till we return. Thank you for the reminder of good things to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom