A Great Week of Diving with Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keithab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a week of diving in Cozumel with Aldora Divers. I went with Aldora because a few people on this board recommended them. I can certainly see why and I was extremely pleased. Dario is a great DM and Marcello was a very capable captain. I dove with Steel 120s the whole week. They take a little getting used to but are wonderful once you do. They really spoil you at Aldora and you really never have to touch your gear. Everyone on the boat was great and special thanks to Steve who let me use his wrist computer the whole week. Thanks also to Sally who turned me on to Lionfish hunting. It has been a while since I have been to Cozumel and this was my first experience with seeing Lionfish. Aldora took us down to Islote which is not something most people get to do and I really enjoyed it. Overall I would highly recommend them if you want a super friendly and very professional staff that will spoil you the entire time. I will be using Aldora again for all my diving in Cozumel!

Sounds like a great trip, and on the forum Aldora has a really strong reputation. Where did you stay at? Any thoughts or recommendations on that?

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What are your requirements/preferences (and budget) Richard. There are multiple options. Not as extensive as the mainland but you should be able to find something suitable...even if you have to make trade-offs on your requirements.

I'm sure I could! I got to do 2 dives in Cozumel on a cruise ship stop once (& 2 in Costa Maya), but so far my week long dive trips have all been to Bonaire. Maybe someday, though. I hear good things about Scuba Club Cozumel.

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you want to stay somewhere that is not fancy, cheap, and close to the pier where Aldora picks up the divers in the mornings check out the Bahia Suites..they have a website and are on Orbitz....my brother and I stay there when we go to CZM....it is two blocks south of the main square. They have a king size and full bed in each room along with a refrigerator, microwave, and small kitchen area. If you are taking your wife, or girl friend I suggest another location if they want to sit on the beach while you dive...Jim

Sounds like a great trip, and on the forum Aldora has a really strong reputation. Where did you stay at? Any thoughts or recommendations on that?

Richard.

Richard, we stayed at Occidental Grand and I thought it was a bargain for how nice the property is. The food was so-so but it was included, along with alcohol. Since it is considered low season and the occupancy rate is about 20% of capacity, they run good deals. It was $700 for the week, so basically $100 per day all inclusive. That was for 2 people. Like Jim said, Bahia is good is you want to be uptown and don't care about the other amenities. I would stay at Occidental Grand again because they do offer a lot for the money.

Hi Richard,

The first time my wife and I stayed for a week in Coz, we stayed at Scuba Club. It was nice. The staff is professional, the food is pretty good, and it's close enough to town to walk to and from. They are a large op, and run big groups on big boats...but, unlike a lot of cattle boats, they let you dive your air. Of course back then, I was one of the first ones back on the boat, due to being an air hog. Then, as we got more capable as divers, ( 3 years in a row in the capable hands of Memo and Aldora ), we went with Blue Angel, last year, and are going again this year. During the last 5 years we stayed at Scuba Club, the 'new' Fontan, ( called Hotel B now, IIRC ), Casa Mexicana in town, and BLue Angel. The only one we were not completely satisfied with was the Fontan, but as I said, I think they have different owners now, and it looks like they are getting decent reviews.

Thanks for the report, keithab. I'm seriously considering Aldora for my upcoming March trip, not only for the great reports, but also because I'll be guaranteed to dive if the norte shows up.

Questions for you:
- Did you do any afternoon diving, or just the morning 2-tanker?
- What were your experiences with the steel 120s? I'm wondering how much bottom time you had.

Thanks,
Dan

If you're diving with Aldora (which I highly recommend), Villa Aldora is a great option. Nice place, good value, they pick you up right there, and it's right on the water. It's a little noth of town. It's quiet, but you're close enough to town to go find some excitement if you want. Keithab is right about Dario. He's a great DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom