A little confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich52

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
One year ago I purchased a new xtx50 with egress octo from an authorized dealer here in Florida. As per the requirements to maintain the free parts for life I took the regs to another authorized Al,Apeks dealer for this servicing. When I dropped the regs off 3 weeks ago I was told by the tech that being this was their 1st servicing they would only need an 8 point inspection and adjusted back to factory specs, no rebuild necessary the 1st year. Today I went to pickup the regs and the tech quoted me the repair price and indicated that the regs were all rebuilt and ready to go. Now personally I thought the price was not at all That outrageous for the work done and free parts but I questioned him how much it would have been had he only done that 8 point inspection and he said $29.00 which only would have been for his labor. I reminded him he had told me that all he was going to do was that inspection this year and then he suddenly told me he had found a little sand in the 2nd stage, and he takes no chances and he felt a full rebuild was necessary. Umm I ended up with an $80.00 bill (again no problem) and I must admit I'am a bit confused about a couple things. First..I thought I spent extra for a super premium reg. My diving is at the advanced rec level at this time and these regs have only been in salt water once this year. Why am I getting a sand problem in the 2nd stage and what type of problem could this create?? The tech then informed me that the policy is now in the second year that the 8 point inspection in in effect. I'am starting to sense confusion here on the techs part by this point in time. So what is the proper policy ?? I maintain my equipment to the highest level and would like to understand exactly what I am supposed to do. I'am sure that next year they will tell me that it is now year 2 and a rebuild is necessary. My wife and I both left the shop feeling that the tech was running in circles and maybe realized an error was made and tried to cover it. :acclaim:By the way I received no used parts back ...

I'm thinking all the same possibilities that you're thinking... so you can either let it go, or talk to the owner of the shop and try and get things sorted out.

We have an Aqualung Micron/Apeks Egress setup. I'm pretty sure the first year out was inspection, second year was service. But this doesn't matter to me anymore - a few years ago for various reasons I didn't take these in when due to keep the warranty in force, figuring there was a way to reinstate the parts warranty with the next service as some companies used to do. There wasn't, and now I'm very glad I let it lapse. I no longer get them serviced blindly by the calendar; I get them serviced when I think they need it. Probably comes out the same or better financially since while I'm paying for parts I'm not paying for unnecessary service. And there's fewer opportunities for all-too-common post service problems.

Of course without actually seeing the regs it's hard to know for sure but sounds like rubbish to me. Id do as Damselfish has suggested and either let it go or go into the shop and ask exactly why in detail they required a rebuild. I'd also ask to see the "damaged" parts. Unless you had a bucket of sand in the second stage and it was in a tumble dryer for a few hours I fail to see what damage sand could have done that necessitated a complete rebuild. Second stages just aren't that delicate. Keep us posted.

The sand in the 2nd stage thing came out like a blurt.. needed a reason. I'am fully aware the sand thing was almost definatley not accurate. Also I really expected that this was in the neighborhood of what I was going to pay. The regs themselves are in well taken care of new condition. I do plan on letting it go, as I have no real beef with the shop..I think they made a mistake ..but so be it. They didn;t damage my equipment or anything, I just don't like being ran around and if you made a mistake...own up to it..no refund would have been demanded and I would have walked out of the shop feeling respected and not feeling that I was made to look dumb when I knew what really happened. also I will continue to use this shop because they have been around a long time and know this line..plus the prices seem fair.

I like your attitude, you seem like a nice person.

Personally I'd still call them on it just because I don't like being treated like a fool.

To be clear, if I did let it go it would be because I'd decided the place wasn't to be trusted and I didn't plan on going back, and didn't feel like dealing with it. Not sure that's the choice I would make though, as there are too many red flags and I don't like rolling over for that. If I wanted to use them again I'd for sure be having a chat with someone first. Maybe this is just one employee who goofed then dug themselves in deeper and not reflective of the store, but the response you get from someone in charge would be telling.

(If they actually admitted they goofed, and still charged for unrequested and unneeded service, I don't think I would feel "respected.")

If you are interested in developing a relationship with this shop, you probably should consider having a conversation with the owner. The owner will 'control' what the techs do. It's great to have a relationship with the right tech, but as with all folks, their attitudes are going to vary. The shop owner is the one most vested in having a consistent relationship with you (again, attitudes vary.)

In the past I have had conversations like you are in here. Hey, I'm not expecting a refund or anything special, but I want to understand what the deal is here, please give me your take on it...then follow that response. You have to remember that they likely deal with a number of people that just aren't going to be happy, no matter what, that are unreasonable and demanding...if you aren't doing that, you probably get a pretty good outcome as they will appreciate that. (Again, attitudes vary and there are some owners that have a pattern of taking advantage. Normally there are a lot of other 'signs' of this kind of owner and if you can't have a reasonable interaction, you need to find another provider.)

Just my personal opinion...

Rich52,
The "oh well, it's only $51 more, I'll let it slide" attitude is part of the reason some dive shops play fast and loose with their servicing. Per AL/Apeks guidelines, the first year after purchase should just have been an inspection. If, after i was told that the reg just needed an inspection, they did a full service and charged accordingly, I would want to know why.

Well he came back with the sand in the 2nd stage deal which I believe to have been false. But in all actuality I have no proof either way. Guess I'll have to wait till next year and see what the attitude is before service begins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom