A little help from 7mm vets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two things: First, I also have a Neosport 7mm farmer john suit that is very bouyant. I found that I needed 32 - 36# in fresh water with an AL 80 tank.

Second, I did some training dives in a rental 7mm suit and found at that time that my legs were very bouyant. I was constantly in a head-lower position, never really horizontal. I discussed the matter with my instructor and he suggested ankle weights.

Hope this helps!

I can't see how letting water in the suit can ever be a good thing. (unless I am flushing:wink:) I dive 7mm full suit with a7mm hooded vest and the thought of jumping in with my zipper open or pulling the seal to let in 45-50F water seems ridiculous. If for some reason there is air trapped in your suit (I can only think of improper fit) open the neck seal to let the air out but don't let any water in if you can help it. Otherwise you are just countering the insulating properties of an otherwise good wetsuit.

The difference is the bouyancy of you legs at the beginning of the dive versus at depth is likely a result of the 5mm of neoprene on your legs compressing rather than 'saturating' the suit.

I dive a one piece 7mm, never had that happen to me either, have you consider pouring some warm water into the neck seal area just before you get into the water? walk around a bit and let it drain into the booties, that might help with the trapped air??? would also help keep you a bit warmer too,

Back
Top Bottom