A little story about the Bowmouth Guitarfish (Rhina ancylostoma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowmouth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
A little story about the Bowmouth Guitarfish (Rhina ancylostoma)

Most of us divers have a list of “most wanted”creatures we would like to see some day - some where, when diving. For many it’s a whaleshark, for some it’s schooling hammerheads, for others it’s a rhinopias and there are even some who have a specific nudibranch on top of their list.
For me, it’s the bowmouth guitarfish (Rhina ancylostoma). That very odd looking shark-ray with a rounded head like a stingray and the body of a shark.
And no, I do not mean the shovelnose ray (giant guitarfish) with the pointy nose. I’ve seen shovelnose rays before; at Richelieu Rock, at Losin and even at Koh Racha Yai. The creature I’ve never-ever seen is the most elusive of all the guitarfishes we have in our waters; the weird and wonderful bowmouth guitarfish!
During the last odd 20 years diving here in SEA I’ve never even glimpsed one! Not even a tiny bit of bowmouth tail or fin in the distance. Nothing, nil, zilch!
Some divers I have worked and dived with have been more fortunate than me. Some of them have seen the bowmouth guitarfish at least once in their career in the Similan Islands at Fantasea Reef. Others have been even more fortunate and glimpsed the bowmouth more than once during dives in Thai and Myanmar waters. Lucky them, and very unlucky me! I’d nearly given up all hope on seeing one with only very sporadic reports of others claiming having seen a bowmouth somewhere in Thai or Burmese waters. I wouldn’t even dream about bowmouth’s anymore, let alone believe that one day somewhere by some miracle I would see and dive with my “top of the list”creature.

Until my last dive trip that is!
Last week (December 29th, 2009) when leading a group of divers at “Western Rocky” in the Mergui Archipelago in Myanmar the unexpected happened. When decending close to the island and pointing out a pair of eggshell shrimps to my divers, I casually looked out into the blue water over the sandy bottom and saw a greyish large shape slowly moving at the edge of visibility. I carefully swam a bit closer and the grey shape changed into a fish that seemed to come right out of a fantasy movie like Narnia or Lord of the Rings; it was the Bowmouth Guitarfish!!!
By this time I was rapping my tank with my stainless pointer, had grabbed the arm of the nearest diver close to me and was frantically finning towards the animal dragging the diver with me.
A bowmouth guitarfish, a real big, weird, beautiful, gorgeous bowmouth guitarfish right there in front of my nose. WOW….my FIRST bowmouth guitarfish……
Not believing that anything better than this could happen that dive I actually saw yet another shape slowly moving over the sand with a big cobia and transforming into a second bowmouth guitarfish! Not one but TWO bowmouth guitarfishes on one single dive!
I nearly lost it, started to hyperventilate and took my Apeks regulator to the very edges of its performance while sucking in Nitrox like a rhino in heat.

And then there was this awesome feeling of becoming “one” with both creatures while I hovered next to a short wall and the bowmouths’ just kept cruising up and down the sandy bottom sometimes making really close passes.
Now this was heaven, really-really heaven! I had waited 6143 dives for this moment and here it was! What a FANTASTIC dive, what a GREAT feeling and what a COOL creatures….

Believe it or not but it got even stranger and better than this. Towards the end of the dive when all other divers had exhausted their bottom-time and air/Nitrox-supply I was still hanging somewhere there in the blue looking at the two bowmouths’. I didn’t want to go up, and didn’t want it to end. So I just hang there and watched them cruising, looking at me, coming close and moving away again.
And then it happened. Yet another, bowmouth guitarfish showed up and I saw THREE (3) bowmouths’ together. Just for me, all alone in the blue with 3 bowmouths’ under me.
I laughed silly through my regulator, waved the bowmouths’ goodbye and started my ascent.

Back on the boat everybody was thrilled with having seen the bowmouths’ but only I had seen the three together. Most divers had seen two together and at least every diver on the boat had seen one. But not 3….

That same day and the following day we dived with them again (they never disappeared) and I was fortunate enough to see all three of the bowmouth guitarfishes together once more (with some other divers this time) before we cruised to our next dive destination.

Bowmouth

:clapping: How very splendid! :glad:

I am so glad your wish was granted, and your patience rewarded thrice over!

Sounds incredible and a very good excuse not to meet up at PSC :) Cath up with you another time. Any pictures?

Nice one. I've been diving in Thailand for 11 amazing years now and have still never seen one in the water. Unfortunately I do see them all the time on the displays of all the Seafood restaurants, along with baby blacktips, horse shoe crabs, and lots of other stuff I'd like to see on a dive.

Good reason not to eat seafood.

Cheers Bowmouth, congrats on finally seeing "the big one"
I'm still waiting to be under that school of hammerheads myself...one day.

I'm still enjoying your updates and as I've been banned from the tropical fish store., I've taken to reading those and Googling the species you mention. I still have my gear on and my wife seems to be tolerating it, however she did complain when I rolled over in bed last night and poked her in the eye with my snorkel.

I'm loving those shallow profiles on your dives

What a fantastic post!
I love reading your aquatic life posts, and I'm so thrilled for you!!

I felt like this when I "accidentally" saw a whale on the way to Catalina Island. I was so emotional I had to go into the head and have a bloody good cry!!

Keep your posts coming, they make my day*......

(*guess I need to get out more! LOL)

Unfortunately I do see them all the time on the displays of all the Seafood restaurants...

Yes, it's very sad to see that so many juvenile sharks and rays end up in fishing nets and get no chance to grow up and reproduce.
I find it frightening at times to see how many fishing boats are "harvesting" the sea here in Thailand and seriously wonder when the time will come that we will be diving in a really empty ocean.

...I'm still waiting to be under that school of hammerheads myself...one day.

I'm sure your hammerheads will show some day, some where. But don't count on getting to see them in Thailand.
I saw mine years ago (school scalloped hammerheads) while diving at "Mahengetang" (a still active underwater volcano) in Indonesia. It was a "WOW" experience and something I'll never-ever forget....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom