A Memorable Memorial Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It's been a long time since we had good visibility. It was poor on Saturday so we took Sunday off to do chores. I was expecting more of the same bad conditions today but was pleasantly surprised to find twenty-five feet visibility at Golf Ball Reef.
I shot a variety of critters today, from finfish to shellfish, from
snails to slugs. We had such a good dive that we remained there for a second helping.

GolfBallReef1_zps677c00d6.jpg

Scott and Margaret Webb and Jim Lyle arrived to share in our good fortune

GolfBallReef9_zpse58715ec.jpg

GolfBallReef2_zps657df9d6.jpg

GolfBallReef4_zps9c17c035.jpg

GolfBallReef17_zpsd1fffe66.jpg

GolfBallReef10_zpsece934d5.jpg

GolfBallReef13_zps45f447f5.jpg

GolfBallReef20_zps15107548.jpg

GolfBallReef12_zps00aff685.jpg

GolfBallReef26_zps3043e6cc.jpg

GolfBallReef24_zps9e723aff.jpg

GolfBallReef11_zpse7e8edd2.jpg

GolfBallReef3_zps221d0d4c.jpg

GolfBallReef6_zps8bea4496.jpg

GolfBallReef5_zpsfbfefc2d.jpg

GolfBallReef16_zps1208d030.jpg

GolfBallReef15_zps3a8bceb6.jpg

GolfBallReef14_zpsf4e129d3.jpg

GolfBallReef19_zps7d73ab68.jpg

GolfBallReef18_zps46f06505.jpg

GolfBallReef22_zpsfa5149a3.jpg

GolfBallReef21_zps27f3dbe4.jpg

GolfBallReef25_zpse48d980d.jpg

GolfBallReef8_zps7da60fdb.jpg

GolfBallReef23_zpse536f996.jpg

Very nice photos. Have you found out what laid the white eggs yet? What is the purple critter on the red gorgonian. It looks like a ghost sea hare.

Maripelta rotata, a purple algae. I find them on deep wrecks, but have been spotting them on shallow sites like Golf Ball and Hermosa Artificial Reef as well. I still haven't found the source of the tiny eggs, but we found several more.

Maripelta rotata, a purple algae. I find them on deep wrecks, but have been spotting them on shallow sites like Golf Ball and Hermosa Artificial Reef as well. I still haven't found the source of the tiny eggs, but we found several more.

Interesting. I've only seen Maripelta on very deep dives here (> 150 fsw) but our water temperatures are warmer and visibility better. Using the pigments that it does suggests it is a deep water alga that doesn't do well when competing with others under greater intensity light environments.

Nice shot of the Pyrosoma too. My column this week is about them.

Actually the "eggs" one sees from the Kellet's whelk are egg cases... there may be up to 1,200 eggs in each one. See last week's column about these whelks and their mating orgies

One of the things I like the most about Phil's and others' photos is that if I were to find something super interesting, I'd make a mission to go find it for myself. For example, I am going to try to find that orange lip snail thingie the next time I go out.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom