"A moment that changed me", from the Guardian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bce

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this article in the news today:

Two experienced dive instructors who took a short, deep dive together from a boat. The water was calm at the surface, but there was an undercurrent that swept them far, far away. They were saved by reflecting light from the sun towards the boat.

How could this situation have been avoided? The author notes that they didn't bring compasses, which surely didn't help, but I don't see what a compass could have done for them in this situation.

It seems to me that the divers should have noted the powerful current and immediately headed back to the surface. Though maybe it's hard to notice such a current if you aren't near the ocean floor. What does everyone here think they should have done?

Haven't read the article yet, but I have been on a number of dives where the captain noted a strong current, but dropped us off anyway. I guess it would be up to the diver to decide what they're comfortable when choosing to dive or not. I've had my ass handed to me a number of times and swam into the current to head back or niavely called it leg-day and hauled ass back.

Most recently I was diving off Deerfield Beach in FL and there were strong winds and a ripping current. Protocol for the operator required us diving with a flag, and I opted to take it since I had more experience with using one than my buddy did. That flag caught the wind and there was nothing, not any slack or extra weighting, that saved me from being dragged towards the shore. The current was not as bad as that wind picking up that flag, and along that area mooring off isn't allowed so the boat had to come get us once we were up.

Unfortunately, the author did not interview the divers and get their story.

As far as the compass, it would be helpful locating the boats position in order to signal, if there were not other landmarks.

Even a DSMB would have helped, but no mention of that.

We all get complacent sometimes, but it's wise to carry certain items with you on any dive.

Scooters would have helped, although they weren't readily available to sport divers 20 years ago.
As far as the compass, it would be helpful locating the boats position in order to signal, if there were not other landmarks.
It's always good to carry a compass, but a compass is only useful in knowing the bearing to the boat if you actually know the direction the current is running. It's not clear from the story whether the incident divers were aware of that. Also, sometimes the boat moves.
Better to either tow a float or send up an SMB before starting the ascent. And carry surface signaling devices beyond just a shiny dive watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom