A New Manta Species Is Discovered By Andrea Marshall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
Andrea Marshall, a rising star in elasmobranch (shark and ray) science has discovered a second species of manta ray while doing research in Mozambique.

Go to Save Our Seas Foundation - Video to see a gorgeous video of Andrea diving with one of the animals, and talking about her discovery.

Beautiful creatures....awe inspiring.

Is it OK for a big ol grizzly to admit it brought tears to his eyes?
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

That is how most people react to overwhelming beauty, even us old moss back divers.

That was incredible. The shot where they were in the water and you could see three mantas...that would be such an incredible experience. Heck, for a cold water Ontario diver diving with one would be increidble.

That was incredible. The shot where they were in the water and you could see three mantas...that would be such an incredible experience. Heck, for a cold water Ontario diver diving with one would be increidble.

Well Steve, the only things keeping you from your mantas is air, ambition, time, and money.

There are several locations around the world where you can dive with them on a somewhat regular basis. The places that instantly come to mind are Hawai’i (the Big Island) and Yap. I have had the good fortune to be in water with these thrilling and highly intelligent animals several times, and it is a diving experience second to none in my book.

Get on the plane! :D

Jeff

Well Steve, the only things keeping you from your mantas is.......money......

This is so true Jeff. In watching Andrea's video, I am in awe of when the Manta swims a circle around her (or more accurately over and under her). Yap is definitely on my list of to go places. I will be a kid in a candy store the first time I see them (and likely every other time as well).

Back
Top Bottom