A Newbie's Diving Wish List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:daydream::daydream::daydream:

1. I wish I didn't have to pee multiple times in my new wetsuit
2. I wish my right ear wouldn't hurt, and would equalize as easily as my left ear
3. I wish I was stronger so I could climb back onto the dive boat after a dive without assistance
4. I wish I had more money and more vacation days to dive more often
5. I wish I would stop blaming my gear or lack thereof for my inadequacies as a diver
6. I wish I could hold a safety stop at 15-20 feet without popping to the surface
7. I wish I could descend without overweighting myself
8. I wish my hubby was into diving as much as I am
9. I wish I lived in a tropical dive location
10. I wish I was not a newbie

6 & 7 are a balancing act. I've found on my frequent shore dives, that getting into the water while others are finishing gearing up, and getting the residual air out of my suit help that initial descent a lot. It can take some time to get everything properly vented and wetted so that your buoyancy stabilizes. That said, it's more important to be able to control your ascent when your tank is light; if you have trouble holding your depth at the end of the dive, you're too light. Adding more weight (just one or two pounds at a time!) to correct that will help make your initial descent easier too.

1. .. is actually wonderful in cold water

All others will improve in time. Only one you want to work on very soon, is 6, you don't want to be "popping up" from 20 feet, it's unsafe. Dont' be afraid to be a good bit "negatively buoyant" at the beginning of the dive (you should be negative), so you'll be maybe a pound or so negative at the end at your safety stop.

#5. I use my dive log as a teaching tool. I write what went wrong...and what i need to do to correct. Then I write in the next upcoming dive what 1 thing i'm going to concentrate on. I initially had a lot of problems ascending after safety stop slowly, I thought it out and realized that the small amount of air in my bc that I added at depth to stop bouncing off the bottom was expanding. Simple note in log book "vent on ascent" helped me remember to try it even if I think all the air is gone. I've not had an "slow ascent" alarm for the last 8 dives.

6 & 7 are a balancing act. I've found on my frequent shore dives, that getting into the water while others are finishing gearing up, and getting the residual air out of my suit help that initial descent a lot. It can take some time to get everything properly vented and wetted so that your buoyancy stabilizes. That said, it's more important to be able to control your ascent when your tank is light; if you have trouble holding your depth at the end of the dive, you're too light. Adding more weight (just one or two pounds at a time!) to correct that will help make your initial descent easier too.

Descent is a huge problem for me. I usually end up swimming down. I know, not the best method. Then when I'm at depth/relaxed I end up being too heavy and bouncing off the bottom. I'm gonna try adding water to my suit upside (warm water :wink:) and when first in the water relaxing at about 6 feet for a minute or so then seeing if I can sink. the second benefit is it allows by buddy time to work on his pesky ears!!

#5. I use my dive log as a teaching tool. I write what went wrong...and what i need to do to correct. Then I write in the next upcoming dive what 1 thing i'm going to concentrate on. I initially had a lot of problems ascending after safety stop slowly, I thought it out and realized that the small amount of air in my bc that I added at depth to stop bouncing off the bottom was expanding. Simple note in log book "vent on ascent" helped me remember to try it even if I think all the air is gone. I've not had an "slow ascent" alarm for the last 8 dives.

Descent is a huge problem for me. I usually end up swimming down. I know, not the best method. Then when I'm at depth/relaxed I end up being too heavy and bouncing off the bottom. I'm gonna try adding water to my suit upside (warm water :wink:) and when first in the water relaxing at about 6 feet for a minute or so then seeing if I can sink. the second benefit is it allows by buddy time to work on his pesky ears!!

When you're wearing a wet suit, you will always get heavier as you get deeper, because it compresses and loses buoyancy. That's part of what your BCD is for. Add just enough air to it to keep you neutral at depth. Just don't forget to let (some of) the air out as you go up or use up air at the end of the dive.

3. I wish I was stronger so I could climb back onto the dive boat after a dive without assistance

The gym is your friend. Work out three times a week for a year or two and you'll be twice as strong. It's worth it.

5. I wish I would stop blaming my gear or lack thereof for my inadequacies as a diver

It is normal, in a new equipment-intensive activity, to have a fixation on equipment, until you get your gear squared away. With time, it will pass.

6. I wish I could hold a safety stop at 15-20 feet without popping to the surface

Be sure you're weighted properly. Overweighting is bad, yes, but you need sufficient weight to maintain control.

My wife doesn't dive. We have other shared interests. ::shrug:: Hopefully you and your husband have other shared interests. You don't have to be joined at the hip.

Enjoy the novelty. Revel in it. It can only happen once.

:daydream::daydream::daydream:

1. I wish I didn't have to pee multiple times in my new wetsuit
2. I wish my right ear wouldn't hurt, and would equalize as easily as my left ear
4. I wish I had more money and more vacation days to dive more often
9. I wish I lived in a tropical dive location

1. Not sure if I can help you here. Maybe look into what you are drinking. Some things will make you need to pee.
  2. Talk to your doctor. See if you have allergies. If none of this works, just take your time. I always tell my partner, I descend slowly, so don't take off on me. :)
  3. Or switch to side mount. :) Seriously, dive more and you'll build the muscles. Or get some assistance. No harm getting some help.
  4. Lottery tickets. That is my plan. :)
  5. Dive with more people. Especially around Toronto. There are people who would be happy to help you become a better diver. Heck, if you want to go for a dive, send me a private message and I'll see if I'm available.
  6. I can show you a few tricks to help with this. With only 0 to 24 dives, not too surprising. You'll get it.
  7. Learn to relax, control your breath. Take you time. Learn to relax is not only going to help reduce your weighting but makes diving more fun.
  8. Introduce me to the hubby. We'll see what we can do. :wink:
  9. Spent a year and a half in Texas. Totally wish I was back there again. Other option, buy a drysuit. :)
  10. Let's go diving!!! Poof, no longer a newbie.

1. I just read an article by an ex SEAL who recommends diving with a full bladder in cold water.
That said, make sure to rinse your wetsuit after peeing in it or you might get a comment like, "You're ridin' dirty." I learned my lesson.
6. I went down two pounds on my last dives. A little bit of trouble descending and maintaining safety stop depth, but I felt perfect down 40 feet. I know I have a lot to learn about buoyancy control.

Just keep diving and you will improve at many of your list, holding a safety stop goes in hand with weight and buoyancy. The better you get at diving, the less weight you will find you need and the better your buoyancy will become.

Climbing a ladder, that will improve, with experience, and techniques, but bumping up physical fitness is also good for that as well in general for your conditioning now that you are doing a sport that puts added stress on your body.

Money and time off, well I think most of us wish we had more of both.

As for a tropical location. There is tons of great diving right around where you are, the Thousand Islands is full of ship wrecks, you are close to some of the best freshwater diving in the world. There are ways to take affordable dive trips to tropical locations, so in that regard you can get the best of both worlds.

Hubby not a diver, do not worry to much about that, good to have separate hobbies and you will meet a lot of dive buddys along that way.

Back
Top Bottom