A nice Christmas story and a question about Scott Air-Paks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Tl;Dr: can these tanks accept scuba valves?

Today was a day off and my plan was to go to the gym with my kids and then help my wife clean the house. This time of year is for my family, though I will admit to being up at 3 and doing end of year paperwork. :)

My youngest and I picked up my oldest and we were on the way to the gym when I got a business call.

The lady on the other end had lost her husband and sounded a little sad, but she had some "scuba tanks" that were her husband's and she wanted to know how to get rid of them. I asked her to send her some pictures, but nothing was working for her.

By the time we got through the second call, I told my kids that we were going to go check on her (about an hour or of the way) because I was concerned about this lady. Something just didn't seem right, and I had her address.

Call three was from another guy who told my the tanks were probably firefighter tanks, and there were a bunch of people at the house, but no one knew what to do with the tanks.

At this point, I was starting to feel better about the last who'd called me, but I was right around the corner so I said I'd still stop by...

When I arrived, the lady was ok, and there was half a football team of ladies and men from this ladies' church doing all the right things.

I'm tired of writing, but I ended up driving away with these tanks, can I use them with scuba valves?

Happy holidays to all of you. Be you Muslim, Christian, Jew, atheist, Buddhist, a pagan, or someone I've missed, y'all are in the scuba tribe and I wish the best for you

Attachments

• IMG_20231223_171936012_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231223_171936012_HDR.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20231223_171955486_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231223_171955486_HDR.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20231223_171928323_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231223_171928323_HDR.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20231223_171908542_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231223_171908542_HDR.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20231223_171903594_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231223_171903594_HDR.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 54
I believe they take the same 7/8-14UNF thread valve, used on 3500# tanks with 300bar DIN connector.

Really cool find!

Be you Muslim, Christian, Jew, atheist, Buddhist, a pagan, or someone I've missed, y'all are in the scuba tribe and I wish the best for you

وعيد ميلاد سعيد جدًا لك أيضًا.

And a very Merry Christmas to you too.

וחג שמח מאוד גם לך.

I don't believe in Merry Christmas

ཁྱོད་ཀྱི་ཡེ་ཤུའི་འཁྲུངས་སྐར་ལ་རྟེན་འབྲེལ་ཞུ

Etad vos quoque valde Christmas Nativitas Domini.

Ho ho ho Merry Christmas!

Depends on the valve. A lot of those old airpaks used an industrial 3/4"ngt valve. Divers of old used a 3/4-1/2npt bushing and then used the old tapered pipe post valves on them.

I sure wish scuba used SCBA valves. That built in gauge is brilliant and the connector is better in my opinion.
What's the pressure rating on those?

I sure wish scuba used SCBA valves. That built in gauge is brilliant and the connector is better in my opinion.
3AA 2150. Not so much gas, and probably terrible buoyancy characteristics.

One is rated at 1800...

Normally I wouldn't even consider fooling with them, but I need some small tanks for Adv. Gas Blending certification, so I'll be pulling them apart this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom