A private commercial pontoon in the North Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tourism pontoon project proposed for North Sound | Cayman Compass

Marineland Tours has submitted an application to put a permanent pontoon arrangement out near the Stingray Sand Bar. It will provide diving opportunities amongst other things, but the only boats that can moor there are going to be from their own company.

If you have an opinion on whether this is a good idea or not, feel free to contact either The Hon. Moses Kirkconnell, Minister of Tourism, or The Hon. Dwayne Seymour, Minister of the Environment, at

Government Administration Building
133 Elgin Avenue
George Town
Grand Cayman

I agree. IMO, incredibly stupid idea. Besides, one bad storm and it would be gone.

I agree. IMO, incredibly stupid idea. Besides, one bad storm and it would be gone.
They claim "The pontoon would be built to withstand hurricanes" in the article. I'm not sure how they'd go about doing that... I think the idea of a permanent structure attached to public areas (land? water?) and is only accessible to one business really sucks. If it's in the local waterway permanently it should be public. Otherwise, everyone has to deal with the environmental impacts and only one company reaps the benefits.

That said.. it's not my neck of the woods. Hopefully those that object will voice their opinions in time.. if anyone in that area actually objects.

It may be that only one company is willing to pay to install and maintain the pontoon. They may rent space to other businesses if it is going unused, or not. Although it may seem an eyesore, if the boats drop a lot a passengers, then leave, this pontoon just replaces the view of many boats hanging around.
I like the idea, but I would have to check out how it works in practice in GBR, before deciding to support or condemn it.

Never been a fan of stingray city for a lot of reasons. On our last trip we were diving outside the reef on the wall fairly close to stingray city and got to see first hand what a circus it appeared to be with all types of boats coming and going and crammed in a small space. Looked like the pictures you see at Lake Powell on the 4th at a popular spot. Adding a "permanent" facility like the one depicted in the story will just make it more so. I imagine though it will be popular with the tourists and the cruise ship crowds who already think SRC is wonderful. I was also dismayed by the number of dive boats moored at sites on the north wall in this area. Gone was any sense of diving a remote, isolated or infrequently visited site. I think I will keep my diving to shore diving on GCM and any boat diving limited to diving the northeast end/east end/southern sites with OF or some of the sites at northwest point.

Last edited:
I think if they wanted to build it, then charge a reasonable docking fee to any boat that wanted to use it as a way of reducing congestion on the site, it "could" be seen as a project in the public interest. Otherwise, it seems like it is just somebody taking a piece of public space and making it private. Not sure that is really in the interest of the public.

Right now, the boats pay zero docking fee to anchor at the sandbar. Who would pay for something they already get for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom