A question about half missed safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO it is tuff to hang at your safetly stop without something to hold on to, but I am still pretty new to diving (plus I kinda like to stay sorta horizontal during that time). My DM suggested to do a swimming safety stop which makes it easier to control. I've found swimming at 15ft back toward the dive boat for 5 minutes is much easier for me.

The post by Beir reminded me of something else. If possible, it's probably best to avoid the direct ascent from deep (like 85') to the safety stop. Rather than that, if there's anything worth looking at, work your way up slowly through the dive. You might hear something about taking stops at half &/or 1/3 of your maximum depth. I don't really do anything specific like that, but just work my way up slowly....usually you can follow a reef up to shallower water....accomplishing the same thing. A lot of the time, if I have divers with good bouyancy, we'll swim maybe 30 minutes into the current, then just drift back to the boat (underwater)....so we'll actually complete the safety stop before arriving at the boat. Anyhow, sounds like you've got everything under control!

luvspoodles:
We hadn't bought our equipment yet, so we were only renting. No timing device besides the divemasters watch or computer.

I'm glad to hear you are buying one. Relying on others to time your dive can be a dangerous habit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom