A question regarding Ventolin & Becotide.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stitch626

Reaction score
First off I would like to make it clear I am *not* Asthmatic :)

About 3 months ago I had a chesty cough that would not clear and the Doctor gave me Ventolin & Becotide to help me (He recommended that I stay on this for four months). And although my cough cleared up 2 months ago I am still using it as per the doctor’s recommendation (I have not consulted him since the first visit).

So my question is this. I am going diving next week and I am wondering if it is safe to use it or if I should stop before I go? I must admit I feel fine and don’t feel that I need to use it, but I am not sure what this medicine does or if it has any effect on diving.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks
Stephen

Find a Local Doctor that is qualified in Diving medecine to give you a checkup.
It is not worth getting blocked up at depth and having a tasty embolism to take to the chamber with you.

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

Readers,

I am not practicing in the US so can only give you my perspective as a British GP.

Inhaled steroids are generally only indicated for the long-term prophylaxis of asthma and other COPDs.

I have prescribed similar preparations for adults with acute wheezy bronchitis but only to treat symptoms for a few days.

If patients stop long-term steroid treatment they run the risks of rebound symptoms.

I would suggest it would be unwise for anyone to stop their steroid inhaler prior to diving, for this reason alone.

This does not constitude medical advice on a doctor-patient basis. This information is provided for educational purposes only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom