JJ CCR Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrancyMak

New
Reaction score
Hi. I am about to purchase my first rebreather, I have chosen the JJ CCR.

I had some questions to ask you:
- I am extremely comfortable with the xDeep NX Backplate and wanted to know if it was compatible (neither JJ nor xDeep have responded to me and I am still not taking the course to ask the instructor).
- Are there any recommended accessories for the JJ?
- I am not a fan of disposable batteries, are there any recommended rechargeable batteries for the JJ?
- Halcyon vs JJ harness, pros and cons of one and the other?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

My take on your questions:
- I am extremely comfortable with the xDeep NX Backplate and wanted to know if it was compatible (neither JJ nor xDeep have responded to me and I am still not taking the course to ask the instructor).
I use my old and trsuty no name backplate wihout issues. I guess you can use the xDepp backplate as well (don't really know anything about them).

Get the head protector. Otherwise, just sorb ans you'll be fine. Personally, I replaced the HUD with a Shearwater Nerd, but that's a personal preference and not neccesary.

- I am not a fan of disposable batteries, are there any recommended rechargeable batteries for the JJ?
The batteries were changed first time in 2 year, about 70 hours of diving. They were replaced because of maintenance, not because they needed to. Battery in the Petrel is changed only once in 2 years. I would not go with rechargebles in the head.

I changed to a rigid harness. Could not get used to the flexible JJ harness. This is also a personal preference.

I am extremely comfortable with the xDeep NX Backplate and wanted to know if it was compatible
Most backplates with holes 11 inches/28 cm apart should work. Your Xdeep should be fine but I haven’t used one. Since you mention Halcyon harness below, Halcyon backplates work fine.

Are there any recommended accessories for the JJ?
You may want to have some spare parts like a spare O2 sensor. Usually, I suggest my students order a spare sensor and a set of o rings with the unit. A head protector is useful too IMO.

I am not a fan of disposable batteries, are there any recommended rechargeable batteries for the JJ?
There are only two kinds of batteries in JJ, SAFT LS14500 3.6V and Ultralife 9V. I would stick to these specific types. You'll most likely only change them once a year.

Halcyon vs JJ harness, pros and cons of one and the other?
Are you talking about the wing since you mentioned you want to use Xdeep backplate above? Halyon Evolve JJ wing is designed for the GUE style onboard 50s/7Ls. It's too wide for diving the traditional 3 litres setup. The stock wing works fine.

My two experiences with XDeep plates are that they are a bit wider at the shoulders and hips than "standard" plates from Dive Rite, Halcyon, Light Monkey, DGX. This may cause you to have problems mounting them on some configurations.

Accessories:
Cave shield, cheap aluminum one is fine + black gaffer tape. Both help with preventing scratches on the unit and on the cylinders. A neoprene can cover will prevent some but not all garbage around o-rings if you dive in siltier places.

Your instructor should send you a list of spares that you need - as a minimum, all batteries, JJ-specific o-ring kits, spare O2 sensor, flapper valves. If you are sloppy like me - spare filter scrims. More or less everything in this package except the drying bungs/caps. You can 3d print the plastic head cover. Something soft to cover the HUD (I use a sponge with a hole in it) which will prevent it from smashing on a bench. Silicone protective cover for the Petrel computer.

Gauge to check inter-stage pressure. Tools to replace batteries, o-ring picks, approved JJ lube - all of that is in the manual.

Dedicated (tea) towels, roll of paper towels etc.

Batteries:
I wouldn't bother with rechargeable batteries. Here's why: batteries might be your first out of many CCR dramas. It will roughly go like this:
  • The night before, while building the unit, something will not work (think HUD not powering on).
  • You will try to remember what you have been taught 6 months ago...
  • You will spam your instructor and all your friends who dive a JJ...
  • You will watch YouTube tutorials and re-read the JJ manual...
  • With shaking hands, you will replace the battery, hopefully clean the o-ring just right, hopefully tighten everything just right and the next day when diving the unit, you will have second thoughts and hope that the unit does not flood.
Based on multiple true stories :wink: . You don't want to mess around with rechargeable batteries or open parts of the unit that are not meant to be frequently opened.

Backplate:
Dive the unit stock for at least the first 20 hours to learn what's normal. Halcyon backplates should be fine, wings - not sure. The groove on the Xdeep backplates might not be deep enough and you could be squeezing your counterlungs. I don't have NX, I have the "normal" Xdeep backplate and it didn't fit on the JJ well when I last tried.

I replaced stock JJ harness with a single piece fixed harness as the sliders kept moving too much with multiple stages. It's useful to have a logo on the harness as it helps with adjusting the straps. However, it's not as easy to get in and I do know more than one person who still dives a stock harness.

Disclaimer: most instructors will want you to dive the stock unmodified unit for at least 50 hours(?) before considering changes, and if you show up or struggle on modified equipment they may rightly suggest you revert before continuing the course.

Any backplate/harness/wing combo will work, within reason. You can cut & re-melt slits into the nylon material of the wing center for passing hoses through. SPGs can be run over the shoulders, or switched to transmitters on shorter hoses.

Shoulder D rings can be freed up further by passing MAV hoses through some DIY shock cord loops instead.

I keep the stock thick steel backplate for coldwater diving in a drysuit or thick (7mm++) wetsuit.
Otherwise for travel & tropics in thin wetsuit (up to 5mm), a standard aluminium or composite backplate instead. The stock JJ is designed for drysuit diving. For less-buoyant people, it is too heavy (dense) for thin wetsuit diving. Especially when adding on stage cylinders (except lean trimix ones)

The JJ harness is designed for quick tightening/loosening via the lower D rings, keep using that for ease of use if in a drysuit.

Also for cold water/drysuit diving, consider finding some ~1" wide x 1 foot long diameter lead rods, coating & sealing with heat shrink, and inserting into the tubes below the top handle (unscrew the large plastic nuts)

I haven't needed any head cover, since I steer clear of ultra silty/sandy water and do not habitually bang into cave or wreck ceilings. But I do recommend the screw-on sensor protector, for when you take things apart to air-dry or store. You can also screw a 9/16" threaded plastic cap on the solenoid input fitting to keep out dust etc, provided it is dry inside and free from internal condensation.

The 3.7v rechargeable 14500 batteries can power the Shearwater computers and HUDs (including one of the onboard JJ batteries). Reportedly some can be found at up to 1100 mAh. I recommend to double-check your vibration alerts to ensure they are working, whenever you change batteries or prep the rig. As not all battery types are supported. It probably belongs in the pre-dive checklist now for Petrel 3 units. I still Carry a spare 1.5v energizer lithium just in case. Not sure about the 9V solenoid batteries.

I recommend using a BOV and gag strap on the loop, if you anticipate any challenging or 'self-reliant' diving. I put a Divesoft one on mine. Sanity breaths become trivial to do. With a BOV it is much more likely to make preventative decision to go onto bailout easily and reversibly. The non-BOV drills are all necessary and easy in training, but good luck doing a timely DSV/regulator exchange during a real CO2 hit, panic, or struggle, after already delaying the decision for too long because of reluctance, denial, uncertainty, distraction, or task loading.

Ordinary silicone lubricants are not a fire risk for low-pressure o-rings, e.g. canister, loop, MAVs, etc. Just don't get it around high pressure oxygen (cylinder valves, regulator first stages), or silicone flapper valves. Wash hands & tools thoroughly before handling those.

I bought a Rubbermaid Brute garbage can for submerging the whole unit in fresh water. I forgot whether it is the 44 or 55 gallon model. During rainy season I keep it full and fresh for free via a rainwater diverter from a house gutter (periodic drain & cleanout).

You can build a free-standing rack or wall rack to hang the whole body/lungs/wing/harness/regs assembly upside down to drain & dry after soaking/rinsing/steramine steps. This means you can drain all of the rinsewater out of the lungs etc without having to take everything fully apart between diving days.

Hi. I am about to purchase my first rebreather, I have chosen the JJ CCR.

I had some questions to ask you:

Thanks in advance for the answers!
I have dived the JJ with an NX backplate and wing for quite a few dives. No issues with BMCLs or any other challenges I would say more comfy than the stock but that might be subjective.

No comment on the other points.

The 3.7v rechargeable 14500 batteries can power the Shearwater computers and HUDs (including one of the onboard JJ batteries). Reportedly some can be found at up to 1100 mAh. I recommend to double-check your vibration alerts to ensure they are working, whenever you change batteries or prep the rig. As not all battery types are supported. It probably belongs in the pre-dive checklist now for Petrel 3 units. I still Carry a spare 1.5v energizer lithium just in case. Not sure about the 9V solenoid batteries.
A 1.5V alkaline (2500-3000 mAh) is more than double mAh capacity of a 3.7V 14500 rechargable (900-950 mAh for the best of the best) with a much more predictable discharge curve on the disposables. Use the disposables or if you really want it to last a non-rechargeable SAFT. Just be sure to buy them from a reputable store not some el cheapo Amazon "dealer" - there are tons of fraudulent SAFTs out there.

A 1.5V alkaline (2500-3000 mAh) is more than double mAh capacity of a 3.7V 14500 rechargable (900-950 mAh for the best of the best) with a much more predictable discharge curve on the disposables. Use the disposables or if you really want it to last a non-rechargeable SAFT. Just be sure to buy them from a reputable store not some el cheapo Amazon "dealer" - there are tons of fraudulent SAFTs out there.

Power capacity is a function of both voltage AND amperage--i.e. watts--over time.
A 3.7V battery produces over twice more power than a 1.5V battery, at the same amperage.

I just included some calculations of this in another post about 14500 batteries

My Shearwater recognizes the 3.7V 14500 battery, and I believe is accepted by Shearwater, including for vibration functions (though I have not personally tested that yet thru the whole voltage range)

"mAh" is not a good way to label or causally compare battery capacities.
Watt-hours (Wh) is true -power- capacity.
Amp-hour ratings are about guaranteeing the delivery of specific raw minimum amperages over a specied runtime.

As for what specific voltages and currents are needed by each of the multiple actual computer/unit functions, and how they are each converted from battery inputs--including vibration motors and solenoids--those would be details known only to Shearwater Co & JJ-CCR.

Power capacity is a function of both voltage AND amperage--i.e. watts--over time.
A 3.7V battery produces over twice more power than a 1.5V battery, at the same amperage.

I just included some calculations of this in another post about 14500 batteries

My Shearwater recognizes the 3.7V 14500 battery, and I believe is accepted by Shearwater, including for vibration functions (though I have not personally tested that yet thru the whole voltage range)

"mAh" is not a good way to label or causally compare battery capacities.
Watt-hours (Wh) is true -power- capacity.
Amp-hour ratings are about guaranteeing the delivery of specific raw minimum amperages over a specied runtime.

As for what specific voltages and currents are needed by each of the multiple actual computer/unit functions, and how they are each converted from battery inputs--including vibration motors and solenoids--those would be details known only to Shearwater Co & JJ-CCR.
Except the head isn't drawing a constant power. It's not that sophisticated. It's drawing a consistent amperage to do the same thing with both batteries. The unit can operate on the lower voltage, and the Energizer operates vastly longer with a much more predictable discharge curve than the 3.7V 14500 rechargeable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom