a question to those who use Worthington 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
ive read that your able to shed some weight off your belt by switching from al to steel about 6lb ive heard. my question is to people who made the switch, how much weight did you actually drop?

I went to an X7-100 this year. 10 lbs. negative full, 2 negative empty. I shed 10 of 24 pounds lead

But it really depends on what you're diving, what you're wearing, etc.

I typically wear a 7mm farmer john, which means ~14mm from thigh to shoulders. I'm 5'11" and a solid 210. At that weight (for the past few years...I've put on about 15-20 pounds), I've been perfectly weighted with 24-25 pounds with an empty AL80. Put on the Worthington 100, and immediately shed 10. Plus, you get extra air -- especially when it's cranked up to the 3442 service pressure.

When I switched to Worthington steel 100s, I dropped at least 6 lbs. of lead, depending on the buoyancy of other gear I was diving with on a particular type of dive. When I switched over to a BP/W with the Worthington steel 100s, I dropped ALL of my lead weight, which was 12 lbs. with a 3mm wet suit.

The ability to dive with NO lead weight has drastically improved my diving enjoyment, air consumption, energy expenditure, and mobility! I would highly recommend the switch. It's worth every penny. Also, the extra air seems to go a long way, especially when I dive Nitrox.

By the way, I switched from Yoke to DIN when I bought the steel tanks, and I'd highly recommend that as well.

Check the specs....
http://www.techdivinglimited.com/pub/tanks.html
The X-100 is -2.5 empty. A common AL80 si +4 to +4.4 pounds when empty. That means a delta of 6.5 - 6.9 pounds from the change. Any other answer means the diver was over weighted before or under weighted after.

Pete

I recently went from an AL80 to a Faber Stl 100. I dropped 6lbs of lead. I weigh 160 lbs, I wear a 7mil full suit with a 5mil hooded vest. Total lead: 14lbs. I used to wear 20lbs. Just for kicks, tomorrow I’m dropping another 2 lbs and testing my buoyancy at 250 psi at 15 feet.

Deleted.

realdiver7:
Even though this is one measuring stick for determining approximations, I have to politely disagree with the blanket statement that "any other answer means the diver was over weighted before or under weighted after." This statement is too oversimplified in my opinion.

Do you have data to support your statement?

Bruce3:
ive read that your able to shed some weight off your belt by switching from al to steel about 6lb ive heard. my question is to people who made the switch, how much weight did you actually drop?
6 LBS. (but I like to be negatively weighted for lobstering and photography)

You could possibly drop 7 lbs. If you're dropping MORE THAN 7, then I would agree with spectrum that you were probably overweighted in the first place, and could have dropped a lb or 2 before you switched to steel.

Spectrum, with all other things being equal, 6-7 lbs. is a reasonable expectation.

Back
Top Bottom