A Quick Question about tank capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when comparing tanks keep the units in mind.
Pressure is measured in PSI (or Bars, atmospheres) and a volume of air is measured in CF (or liters).
PSI's are not a measure of volume.
If i know a tank has a pressure of 1500 PSI it tells me nothing UNLESS i also know what volume of gas the tank holds at it's rated pressure.

for example:

(ideally);
a HP steel 102 @ 1400 psi, an AL80 @ 1500 psi and a LP 104 @ 923 psi all hold roughly 40 CF of gas.

where HP is 3500 psi, LP here is 2400 psi and the AL is rated at 3000 psi.

make sense?

You may also want to look at the fact that different sizes of tanks have different rated pressure.

As Sheck33 has explained it well , it's all about pressure and volume of gas at a given (rated) pressure. The pressure impacts the volume of gas since it is compressed...

If you want to know how much air you have in a tank, you need to know the volume of air it contains at its rated pressure. For instance, my tank will hold 119 CBFT of air at 3442 psi (rated pressure). If I only get a 3000 psi fill, my tank only contains...103 CBFT of air. And I need a calculator to find this one out.

In the rest of the world, things are a little easier. Tanks are measured by the volume of water (incompressible) they can hold. That's the same as the volume of air at 1 bar (or 1 ATM) at the surface of the sea.

So, a 15 liter tank at 200 bars will hold 3000 litters of air. That's much easier but that's another thread :D

Back
Top Bottom