A rat model of chronic moderate alcohol consumption & risk of DCS.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
I know some real rat bastards that dive, so this may be good news for them.

"A rat model of chronic moderate alcohol consumption and risk of decompression sickness

Citation Buzzacott P, Mazur A, Wang Q, Lambrechts K, Theron M, Guerrero F. Diving Hyperb. Med. 2015; 45(2): 75-78.
Affiliation Université de Bretagne Occidentale, Laboratoire Optimisation des Régulations Physiologiques (ORPhy), UFR Sciences et Techniques, Brest, France.
Copyright (Copyright © 2015, South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society and European Underwater and Baromedical Society)
DOI unavailable
PMID 26165527

Abstract

INTRODUCTION: This study aimed to establish if chronic, moderate, pre-dive alcohol consumption had any affect upon susceptibility to decompression sickness (DCS) in rats.

METHODS: A treatment group of 15 rats were given water containing 12 mL ·L ⁻¹ of ethanol for four weeks. Controls (n = 15) were given water. Both groups were compressed with air to 1,000 kPa, followed by staged decompression. An additional 30 control rats from a similar previous experiment were added, raising the control-treatment ratio to 3:1.

RESULTS: Rats in the treatment group consumed the equivalent of an 80 kg man drinking 2 L of 5 % alcohol by volume beer per day, which is three times the recommended daily limit for men. Overall, comparing the treatment group with the combined control groups neither weight (P = 0.23) nor alcohol consumption (P = 0.69) were associated with DCS.

DISCUSSION: We observed that chronic, moderate alcohol consumption prior to compression was neither prophylactic nor deleterious for DCS in young, male rats."

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Reactions: Jax
I can hear the arguments now...

"only" 2L/day. What a bunch of lightweights :cheers:

I'm more intrigued by the 1000 kPa. . . something like ~300 fsw

Did they all get a good night's sleep and dive the following morning?

Discussed this with Dr. Neal Pollock last week... we happened at the time to be watching a couple of our group drag their arses around after being screeched in... the issue of course is what constitutes moderate and how does moderate effect risk management (perception, identification, mitigation, avoidance), at depth.

"A rat model of chronic moderate alcohol consumption and risk of decompression sickness

Citation Buzzacott P, Mazur A, Wang Q, Lambrechts K, Theron M, Guerrero F. Diving Hyperb. Med. 2015; 45(2): 75-78.
Affiliation Université de Bretagne Occidentale, Laboratoire Optimisation des Régulations Physiologiques (ORPhy), UFR Sciences et Techniques, Brest, France.
Copyright (Copyright © 2015, South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society and European Underwater and Baromedical Society)
DOI unavailable
PMID 26165527

Abstract

INTRODUCTION: This study aimed to establish if chronic, moderate, pre-dive alcohol consumption had any affect upon susceptibility to decompression sickness (DCS) in rats.

METHODS: A treatment group of 15 rats were given water containing 12 mL ·L ⁻¹ of ethanol for four weeks. Controls (n = 15) were given water. Both groups were compressed with air to 1,000 kPa, followed by staged decompression. An additional 30 control rats from a similar previous experiment were added, raising the control-treatment ratio to 3:1.

RESULTS: Rats in the treatment group consumed the equivalent of an 80 kg man drinking 2 L of 5 % alcohol by volume beer per day, which is three times the recommended daily limit for men. Overall, comparing the treatment group with the combined control groups neither weight (P = 0.23) nor alcohol consumption (P = 0.69) were associated with DCS.

DISCUSSION: We observed that chronic, moderate alcohol consumption prior to compression was neither prophylactic nor deleterious for DCS in young, male rats."

Cheers,

DocVikingo

I found this reference when looking to see if alcohol is a vaso dilator in rats the

DOI unavailable
PMID 26165527

Abstract

Cheers,

DocVikingo
Out of curiosity, how was DCS determined? Alcohol is a vaso-dilator in rats (Acute and chronic effects of ethanol and its metabolites on vascular production of prostacyclin in rats. - PubMed - NCBI) which 'should' make them less susceptible to a Type-1 hit. I'm not sure how you check for skin mottling/rash on a rat though. . .

DDM, I'm ready to sign up for the human trial, but only if I have a higher probability of being in the "treated" group.

Two beers a day is reasonable by any measure. Anything less than 1 liter is a "kinder" (child's) beer according to my German friends. Although, I generally prefer certain Belgians that are a wee bit more than 5% abv.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom