A real eyebrow raiser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

man that JJ is a stroke... I'm surprised George didn't kick him off his team...

:joke:

Diver0001:
snip.....................

well.... almost. JJ forgot to fill his tank so when we got to the first divesite he had about 70 bar in his tank. We decided to make the dive anyway but for the first 50 minutes or so, JJ was hanging on my longhose....
R..

This is not intended as sarcasm or criticism. It is a genuine question.
What are the parameters that you would take into consideration if you want to dive in such a situation? What if a deco need arose? What if there was a problem in the water that prolongs the dive time - say an entanglement?
Given the number of dives that I have and my scant knowledge of gas management, I would not dare to undertake a dive if my partner had 70 bar in his tank.

Matsya:
What are the parameters that you would take into consideration if you want to dive in such a situation?

depth, dive time, hazards. I don't think we would have done this on a deep dive but our maximum depth was 15 meters (about 50 feet) and there were three of us. Furthermore, we knew this site very well and there are no entanglement hazards. The current might have been a show stopper if it was too heavy but we found it to be manageable.

What if a deco need arose? What if there was a problem in the water that prolongs the dive time - say an entanglement?

The average depth on this dive was about 10 meters and we were planning on diving for about an hour. Something would have needed to go very wrong for us to get into deco. Between the three of us we had enough air to hold on for more than two hours. Having to stay a little longer wouldn't have been a problem. After 65 minutes we surfaced with more than 1/2 of our air left.

Given the number of dives that I have and my scant knowledge of gas management, I would not dare to undertake a dive if my partner had 70 bar in his tank.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone try this. It's supposed to serve as an example of what *not* to do.

R..

It's kind of an extreme example of what Peter and I were doing in Indonesia -- utilizing gas as a team resource. You're doing an "all available air" dive, with surfacing as an ever-present option, and everybody stays above rock bottom . . . but I have to say I wouldn't personally submerge with only 70 bar, unless it was a VERY big tank.

Diver0001:
Indeed.... When I didn't see his bubbles the thought crossed my mind that he could have fallen asleep and drowned. I don't know if someone could actually do that but the thought did cross my mind.

R..

Fall asleep underwater. I actually did in OW class. I was just chilling on the ocean floor waiting for our DM to get to me for mask clearing, and I dozed off while laying on my side. I think subconsciously I knew I had a reg in my mouth, so I didn't inhale water while I was dozed, for about 30 seconds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom