A sad day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iguana Don

Reaction score
Last week the Dnever City Council announced they will be closing Ocean Journey. My heart saddens to this news. It seems to me that a city the size of Denver could find some way to support it.
The doors will close for the last time on Easter Sunday.

Roakey is a volunteer diver at Ocean Journey and I feel for him also.

ID

Thanks Don,

I've been a diver up there for over a year, but I've been a guide for over two. The diver part of me is going to miss the aquarium for selfish reasons. Watching a Sandtiger swim by a mere foot away is something I'll never get to experience again. Also I was part of the lucky buddy team that happened to be in the exhibit when one of our Zebra sharks laid an egg.

But the part I'm really going to miss and hurts the most is no longer being a guide. There I got to share my wonder and excitement of the life that's found underwater with others, many of them children that never have been to the ocean.

I had two places where I'd just love to watch the faces of people in the midst of discovery. One place was where people would round the corner and see the panoramic window of the exhibit with our large sharks. The other would be where folks who thought they were going to "just an aquarium" would see the tigers for the first time.

Especially for the shark exhibit, each time I saw a jaw drop it reminded me of the first time I visited the aquarium myself. I remember how the exhibit unfolded for me. I remember how I would dearly love to be a diver in the exhibit and how it’d probably never happen. I was wrong.

My last dive and guiding shift is this Saturday. We're having larger-than-grand-opening crowds. It's a lot of work on the paths, but it's a ton of fun in the exhibit playing with the kids through the acrylic.

I'm going to miss it dearly.

Roak

Ps. Don, we'll still get together, but I'll have to drive up to meet you and obviously we won't be able to do the aquarium. We're really trying to go out in top form, and it's so busy I didn't even get a chance to have lunch all day last weekend.

Hard lines roakey. I'm sorry to hear that something you obviously love dearly is being taken away. I sincerely hope you find something as equally stimulating to fill the void.

Regards
Paul

Hey guys,

I'm really sorry to hear about the impending closure. I guess that just goes to show that even larger cities suffer from small-minded government. Best wishes Roakey and Don.

Billy

Colorado Ocean Journey is not closing. They've filed chapter 11, and they're keeping the doors open!

Just to clarify, COJ is NOT owned by the city. It's a private non-profit, 510 (c)3. Chapter 11 will allow them to continue while they restructure their debt. Don't ask me any detailed questions, I know zippo about Chapter 11 and in my life I want to keep it that way, if you get my drift. :)

Roak

Those are great news !!!

It is really strange.....I was so sad listening about the closing and so happy now...BUT... I don't even know what Ocean Journey is exactly since it is located thousands of miles away from my home :) Of course I can speculate but the strange is how we, divers, are so passionate about anything that has to do with the sea or our fellow divers..

Good news roakey !

Manogr

Raokey...glad too see the "landlubbers" can still see what we all love to see. Are you able to give those of us who really don't know about the aquaium a brief description of what we were about to lose ?? Or perhaps a website link ?? Thanks

Originally posted by Butch103
Are you able to give those of us who really don't know about the aquaium a brief description of what we were about to lose ?? Or perhaps a website link ?? Thanks
<smacks forehead>

Duh, sorry about that! http://www.oceanjourney.org/

One of its problems is that it calls itself an “aquarium.” It isn’t. I don’t know a good name for it but something along the lines of “Aquatic environments and the surrounding ecosystem” would be a better description, but lousy for marketing. :)

It’s completely different from any other aquarium I’ve been to (though I admit I haven’t been to many). Most aquariums have groups of exhibits, for example Monterey Bay (http://www.mbayaq.org/) has the “outer bay” and “deep dwellers” and various other exhibits that you walk between.

Colorado Ocean Journey has the name “Journey” in it for a reason. It follows two rivers on opposite sides of the earth from their headwaters to the sea.

First it follows the Colorado River from high in the Rocky Mountains with the cutthroat trout and flannel mouth suckers through it gradual descent to the sea of Cortez. You encounter beaver ponds with sunfish and pumpkinseeds and, this is where the “aquarium” name fails and “surrounding ecosystem” comes in, river otters.

It proceeds through the large reservoirs with huge catfish, rainbows and pike and then crosses the desert with a flash flood exhibit, pupfish, rattlesnakes and a tortoise. Finally it ends at our second largest exhibit, the Sea of Cortez. Throughout the journey from the headwaters to the Sea of Cortez, the visitor is immersed in the environment – At the headwaters rock and ice surround you, and the air is quite cold. In the beaver pond area you have trees and plants. As you cross the desert you return to rock and the temperature is quite warm until you arrive at the tropical Sea of Cortez.

Then you travel half way around the world to the island of Sumatra and follow the Kampar river from its headwaters to the Pacific Ocean. Starting with some of the “classical” tropical fish like the Tiger Barbs and such, to Giant Gourami, Fire Eels and Clown Knifefish. Again the “aquarium” name fails because we exhibit a mammal that is commonly found along the river because it actually uses the cool water to help regulate its body temperature – we have three Sumatran Tigers! You can usually spot the first time visitors at this exhibit because they thought they were just going to see fish, and the three tigers come as a complete surprise, and you can see it in their faces!

[Here’s a poor picture of our two boys, Bali on the left and Java on the right, named for the Bali and Java species that are now both extinct on their respective islands http://www.underctek.com/open/COJ/balijava.jpg]

The Kampar then moves through the mangrove forest and into the brackish water zone where we have a horseshoe crab touch exhibit, followed by the coral lagoon, the Kampar’s termination in the Pacific Ocean. Our Depths of the Pacific exhibit is our largest at about 1/3 of a million gallons and 22 feet deep at its deepest point. This is the one I get to dive with its four species of sharks – four Nurse sharks, two Zebra sharks, two Gray Nurse/Sandtiger/Ragged Tooth sharks and two Sandbars.

Outside on the plaza our current “changing” exhibit is called “What Lurks Beneath” and shows the life you’d find off a Monterey peer. It has a more “in your face” environmental message than the rest of COJ in that is also shows the garbage like cans, bottles and even a broken toilet that you might find dumped off a pier due to our “out of sight, out of mind” mentality.

Lastly, on the first floor we have our permanent California Sea Otter exhibit with Taylor and Gracie, who are both big hits. If you look up the word “cute” in the dictionary you’ll find a picture of a sea otter to give an example of the word. :)

Whew! Hope this helps you get an idea of what COJ is all about!

Roak

Thanks, Roakey, for sharing info with us. Good luck in keeping this amazing resource available to all!

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom