A simple decision or maybe not ?...A6000 Vs RX100 III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My current gear is Pansonic zs7 with the original housing and S&S ys-03 strob. this setup gave me surprising results! really!
( great for the entery lvl. )

I'm about to make my first upgrade - And I don't know what to expect.
of course that every decision will be a big step ....... but in which direction ?
:)

I'm really excited with the Sony A6000 , the sensor , AF speed etc.
And the Price! for mirror less camera ?

The point is what should I really expect from the final results? and specifically for the underwater photography

Is the Kit 16-50 lens + a quality Diopter! will give crispy, sharp, punchy photos results?
or maybe the bigger sensore ? more pixels and noise and not so good lens .....will actually be a big disappointment ?

Maybe it is wiser to start with the Sony RX100 III ? that is more friendly?
and with much better lens ?...and yes more "point to shoot " camera concept

On the other end - should I invest on a better - not top of the line! Wide lens and go with the A6000 ?

I really want that the A6000 will be my final choice...A camera to grow with
I'm not so sure if I can make it with a reasonable lens budget ?
and if yes ? what would be the lens to start with for this stage?

Or maybe A6000 , It is not the best choise for underwater photography?
Maybe Olympus Is more suitable for that ?

Is more suitable for that ?

Please advise
:)

THX in advance

Depends a lot on what you want to shoot. If you really want to shoot macro the A6000 with the zeiss 50 lens is quite nice, but a bit pricey. The kit lens is fine UW but not nearly as nice as the zeiss. The RX is useless as a macro camera but is very easy to use and very nice for larger fish etc.
Bill

Depends a lot on what you want to shoot. If you really want to shoot macro the A6000 with the zeiss 50 lens is quite nice, but a bit pricey. The kit lens is fine UW but not nearly as nice as the zeiss. The RX is useless as a macro camera but is very easy to use and very nice for larger fish etc.
Bill

Yes " a bit pricey..." :)
the lens again...is the major factor

About "what I want to shoot...." actually more of the same of what I did until now with a camera like the panasonic zs7...
but at much better quality :)
Not proffesional macro - not yet...but as much as possible "mid range macro"....
That I can say will be 80% of the uses - 20% will be big fish

And I will use a diopter as part of the setup

So what do you say on this options ( not optimal ....but maybe close? ):

A. With adaptors
Like the Metabones Nikon F Mount Lens to Sony NEX for $100
Metabones Nikon F Mount Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens MB_NF-E-BM2

1) Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Lens 2180 B&H Photo Video

2). Nikon AF NIKKOR 20mm f/2.8D Lens
Nikon AF NIKKOR 20mm f/2.8D Lens 1913 B&H Photo Video

B. Without any adaptors
And choose lenses like
1) Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II Zoom Lens For Sony
Or
2) Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC Lens for Sony Alpha

Or other options? or Camera?
what will you recommend

many thx :)

Buy the best you can afford I would go the A6000 or even look out for second hand? factor in lens, ports, etc. RX100 greta camera but not relaly a step up for you
also look at Canon G16
Perhpas also an A7000 coming so A6000 may get even cheaper

Forget metabones unless you are good at manual focus, you will also need bigger ports. I agree with alien, get the best you can afford. Depending on budget look at the Olympus OM-D E-M5 system that Jack is selling with the olympus housing. Great price, great lenses, very nice system for not much $. $1500 for the housing, camera, lens and port. A great way to get started.
Bill

Yaronad,

I personally think the Sony A6000 is an amazing camera for underwater photography, on our recent La Paz trip a couple people had them and the photos were spectacular. It would be my top choice. I would get the 16-50mm lens and the fisheye conversion lens.

If you did not have the budget for that, you could also get the Olympus E-M5 bundle for $1,499 which we also sell.

Scott Gietler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom