A simple intro...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Just wanted to make a very small intro to the scubaboard forum.

At 50 I have finally managed to fulfill a long standing desire to get OW certified. Today, here in Florida, I managed to do just that.

Now comes the real learning and hopefully, many good diving trips locally and in the tropics.

The first step is to do some offshore excursions here in sunny FLA, then see what pans out.

Cozumel and the Caymans are on my list already. No doubt it's gonna be an exceptional journey.

Kirk

Welcome to the new world Kirk. Remember to keep an open mind and clear head. Learn from those you know and trust. Question the things you don't understand (or don't agree with) - it's part of the learning process (the only foolish question is the one not asked). Aim for immacualte bouyancy control from the start.
NEVER dive in conditions you are either not comfortable with, or are beyond your training. Accidents are never intended to happen and are usually a result of inexperience and lack of training. Putting youself in a position where you are beyond your skills is asking to inflate that risk to an unacceptable level.
Now that I've probably scared you with the brow-beating, let me wish that you are granted many years of wonder and awe in this world below. When done correctly, it is heaven on earth.

Way to go, Kirk. I too started this sport as a (mostly) grown up adult type. You are my seinior by a year, tho.

So far this seems like a great sport for us, as well as those less chronologicaly gifted. You are only as old as you feel, and trimmed out and hovering in Nemo's realm makes me fell pretty good.

Keep diving.

Dan

Well, hello and congratulations on making your dreams come true.

Dive safe. R

Thanks to all.

From what I have seen so far, this forum seems to be loaded with a wealth of information. I look forward to learning more about this sport from all of the experienced (and not so experienced) divers that are part of this community.

:) Kirk

Aloha and congrats.
I started diving at 42 and am now 61 and still diving. Good for you. Be safe down there.:shades:

Welcome from the Gainesville area! Congratulations on your certification! jhelmuth makes some EXCELLENT points. Specifically, never dive if you are not comfortable with the conditions, and be proficient with your bouyancy control. I wish that was covered more in my O/W class. That is a skill that will help you be more comfotable in almost any situation.:D

Congrats Kirk on your dream! A warm welcome from the southern end of the state. I hope you enjoy diving as much as I do! Lots of available buddies here at scubaboard. If you get to this end of the state, and interested in a beach dive, there are a lot of us here who do just that! Check out the Florida Conch section too.

scuba_jenny once bubbled...
Congrats Kirk on your dream! A warm welcome from the southern end of the state. I hope you enjoy diving as much as I do! Lots of available buddies here at scubaboard. If you get to this end of the state, and interested in a beach dive, there are a lot of us here who do just that! Check out the Florida Conch section too.

I might be headed down to Keywest next week. The guy I did my OW training with is headed down there with his family for some lobster diving. He and I both are anxious to start enjoying this sport.
Thanks for the invitation Jenny. A beach dive sounds great. I will let you know if I can get all the pieces to fal into place for such a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom