A Sincere Question about Console Vs. Wrist Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scraps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm really not trying to start something here . . .

I have seen posts by people with much more knowledge and experience than I have expressing negative opinions on console computers.

I am a recreational diver. I am presently enrolled in a divemaster program, and I will probably follow up with the instructor course in a year or so. I have considered taking a couple introductory tech courses, but when I do, it will be for the learning and skill improvement, not because I really want to spend time in deep, dark places. Basically, all I aspire to is to become a very good and very safe recreational diver who can help others do the same, and that's about it.

So I'm curious about this console vs. wrist issue.

I have extremely good distance vision (I umpire baseball, and I can see the rotation of the ball when it leaves the pitcher's hand), but very poor up-close vision (I can't read my name on my drivers license without glasses).

Earlier this year, I bought a computer because I couldn't read my old one at depth, and I was tired of relying on my watch and SPG when there was so much good info just a couple feet from my face. I chose the computer with the biggest, brightest, display--one I could customize to make things show green, yellow, or red according to parameters I set for myself. It's on a console, and it's huge. But I can see it, and that's important to me. (Oceanic Pro Plus X, for those keeping score at home.)

The computer broke and is presently in the process of being replaced, but when it works, I really love it. I am much more aware of what's going on with my dives, and it has helped me develop better habits (e.g., my ascent rate is much slower than before because I can now see a graphic representation of it in real time and I'm learning what slow feels like).

The divemasters and instructors I dive with, learn from, and assist all use wrist computers, some AI, some not. They think it somewhat odd that someone who aspires to any sort of professional status would carry around the brick I have. But then again, most of them dive caves when they're not teaching, so their rigs are configured for the diving they're passionate about.

So my question is, what's really wrong with an air integrated console computer for someone who isn't going to go into tech diving? Is it just the trim and dangles? I think I have those under control, and the issue is present whether there's just an SPG or a console at the end of your hose, right?

At some point, I'm going to want some equipment redundancy to do solo dives, so I might buy a second computer. And if the one I have breaks again, I may go shopping again.

When I do go shopping, what else should an almost-DM, future-OWSI know that might steer him away from air integrated console computers? Or is a brick on a rope ok for someone with my limited aspirations?

Thanks for your insights.

One wrist benefit that comes to mind even in open water is having it in a location that is easy to keep an eye on, even when your hands are busy. Another is the ease at which you can change rigs without the hassle of your computer being attached to only one rig. I know lots of dive masters with console computers, but in my opinion wrist style has more benefits. ymmv

So I'm curious about this console vs. wrist issue.

So my question is, what's really wrong with an air integrated console computer for someone who isn't going to go into tech diving? Is it just the trim and dangles? I think I have those under control, and the issue is present whether there's just an SPG or a console at the end of your hose, right?

At some point, I'm going to want some equipment redundancy to do solo dives, so I might buy a second computer. And if the one I have breaks again, I may go shopping again.

When I do go shopping, what else should an almost-DM, future-OWSI know that might steer him away from air integrated console computers? Or is a brick on a rope ok for someone with my limited aspirations?

Thanks for your insights.

Frankly, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with consoles; and it is mostly just a matter of taste. I, for one, don't care for equipment attached to my wrist, while others swear by it. Don't really care for watches either. Again, taste, and, in my experience, lessened dexterity, should some mechanical tasks be required.

In terms of redundant equipment, since I do a good amount of solo diving, I also carry an analog depth and pressure gauge -- well arranged, with no dangling involved . . .

Consoles are big and bulky. Too many people have the habit of not clipping them off at all or not high enough. So they end up dragging all over kingdom come or just floating off somewhere behind the diver.

I used a console during my DSD and first pool session. That was enough for me. Never again.

Yeah, it's huge; don't know what he f**k I was thinking . . .

Attachments

• IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 95
Consoles are big and bulky. Too many people have the habit of not clipping them off at all or not high enough. So they end up dragging all over kingdom come or just floating off somewhere behind the diver.

I used a console during my DSD and first pool session. That was enough for me. Never again.

I use both. But if I went back to one, it would be the console with attached analog compass. It is on a retractor, so not dangling. And when I navigate, I want depth info in my vision along with direction, not on a separate instrument or on the back of my console.

Scraps -

You don't have a computer issue, you have a vision issue. Get a reader insert for your mask or a mask with them built in. I'd guess +1.5 or +2. Now you'll be able to see your guages at any distance. The bonus is you'll be able to get close to little critters and still see them clearly.

Agreed - use what works for you.

The main reason for console “hate” you see is not the console itself - it’s the fools who don’t clip it off and let it dangle. That creates an entanglement hazard and, even worse, an environmental hazard as it drags along potentially damaging anything it touches (corals, etc.,).

I use both. But if I went back to one, it would be the console with attached analog compass. It is on a retractor, so not dangling. And when I navigate, I want depth info in my vision along with direction, not on a separate instrument or on the back of my console.
My wrist computers have all of that in 1 device as well!

Back
Top Bottom