A Texan’s Quick Catalina Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
(Welcome to California; Please Don’t Smoke)

I’ve really been blowing and going too much lately, but I knew that business would be slow leading up to Labor Day, and I’d really wanted to get back and try those kelp beds again, so – asking myself “What’s life for?” I went for it.

Getting there

I generally start a trip with the 6am flight out of Lubbock, sometimes after hitting the Honky Tonk until 2am closing, but this time – I caught a few zzzs at home, then left at 3:30am Thursday (1:30 California time) for the airport. I don’t know if the Delta agent turned the scales off when he saw me coming, but he didn’t hassle me over my 50 something pound bags, and I got out fine – sleeping my way to DFW, then sleeping the next flight to LAX, arriving there about 10:30am. My two bags dropped quickly enough – easily sighted with their multitude of orange ribbons, and I was quickly flagging a Super Shuttle for the Long Beach Downtown Catalina Ferry.

My planning showed a weakness here, for while I had a reservation on the 2pm crossing, if I’d told him I needed to be on the 12:15pm – he would have taken me there before dropping the other two passengers off, and I could have been at my motel within 12 hours total travel time. I failed to plan on the possibility, though, so I had lunch at the terminal, called the inn to confirm that I’d be arriving at the Avalon dock at 3pm, and Raul assured me that I’d be met. The crossing went smoothly enough, although someone always pukes on any boat ride – and some did, but I just slept some more.

Seaport Village

I’d asked DrBill on the Scuba Forum for suggestions on hotels, and he put me onto this one = great answer, Bill! I compared package prices and learned that I could book everything including an economy hotel through one of the two dive stores there, or I could take a much nicer hotel with the ferry included, then book the trips separately, for about the same money! Charley was waiting for me alright, and I was soon riding an elevator to a nice air conditioned room - two aspects not always included in local inns - on the hillside overlooking town. It was a small room, but enough for a solitary traveler, and I was really glad that I didn’t have to hump my total 130 pounds of checked and carryon luggage upstairs. I turned the AC off when I’d leave the room for the day, but I was always glad it was there when I came in. A.A. members and others in S.A. recovery should advise them to not put welcome wine in the room, but it was a nice touch for me. The deal even included a full breakfast every morning; not “eggs to order,” but certainly nice eatin’!

With the reassurance of bags in the room and a key in my pocket, I set out exploring and found Bill – whom I recognized from the picture on his SB profile – at the Scuba Park air fill. He was nice enough to give me his home phone number, but as the weekend played out, I never had a chance to take him up on his offer of additional hospitality. It was good to meet him, though, as much as he adds to the SB and as much as he’d helped me with my trip plans.

Scuba Luv Dive Trips

The inn’s sign says they deliver customers to the ferry dock only, not to other locations, but Charley was nice enough to take me and my 100 pounds of gear to the store at 8am Friday, where I quickly filled out the needed forms, flashed my AOW card, and loaded my gear onto their pickup, then – walked a few blocks to Float 5 by the town dock. I also met another solitary diver, a pleasant fellow also from far inland, and we chatted a bit – sizing each other up as possible dive buddies. He had incurred personal challenges since certifying, had only eight dives logged, none in a year, so I hoped he’d team up with someone similar, but I assured him: “If we can’t find you a better buddy, I’ll try to behave!”

We boarded at 9am, whereupon I met Captain Bob and First Mate Randy, and I added the same: “I’ll try to behave.” I figured if I kept saying that, I’d feel more obliged to do so. With the economy like it is, we only had ten divers, and no other singles (“Dang, I’m stuck!”), but they did a bang up job earning the $95 for 3 dives! The 65 foot boat was super, with ample gearing up room, a dry lounge that would easily accommodate a full boat of 30 divers, a nice galley, two marine heads, and a sun deck. I was certainly glad I’d spent enough to be on this fine vessel, and not the little zodiac that was crowding divers on board at the same dock. Ours also had 3 onboard compressors, so not only did they not charge me for filling my Pony, they refilled tanks quickly between dives; didn’t have to move my Pony or my BC once in two days of diving! We munched on a nice continental breakfast (as if I hadn’t had enough already) on the way to the first site, on fruit on the way to the second, on sandwiches and salads en route to the third, and all the coffee and soft drinks we wanted all day.

And the diving was great. No, it wasn’t perfect, but adventures often aren’t; this one was just a bit more on the adventurous side. The water was usually in the 70s F, and the viz was reduced, but for a diver from east of the Rockies – kelp bed diving is a rush any way it’s accomplished. Bright orange Garabadies (named after the white man’s name for the aborigines Amerind tribe that was removed from the island) were plentiful and bold, from juveniles with blue dots to giants who would swim right to a diver’s mask expecting a treat, and while I didn’t see all of the Pacific coast fishes and invertebrates I’d hoped for, the ocean was well stocked. And I just love the mystic feeling of diving under giant kelp leaves, yellow gold, over two feet across and 40 feet tall!

But I gotta’ share my experiences with my greenhorn dive buddy. (And if you read about yourself here, no hard feelings; we were all new once, with our own learning opportunities. You’ll get better with experience. You smile, and I’ll never use your name, okay?) On three dives, he lost his snorkel, he lost his weight belt, his tank slipped three times, and he lost me four times. We all use air fast when we’re new, but he had me coming in with 1500 pounds every time! And everyone got surprised by a developing current on the second dive (we surfaced for bearings, and Captain Bob had already swam out to our bubbles with a tow line for us!), but my buddy got lost again after that. Dang! He did say that he’d tried to book the alternate boat, that does two dives in a day with a Dive Master in the water, but he needs to hire his own for a few dives! After he left the boat for the day, I lingered, then said – somehow - I wanted better tomorrow. No problem. Left my gear where it lay after the last dive, so it’d be ready for the next day.

Neither Tina nor I had thought to charge me for two days, so I simply walked the short distance downtown Saturday morning to pay for the second, then over to Float 5. We’d just boarded when I noticed a sexy blonde with nice silicones on the dock watching a speed boat headed in, and I continued to watch for recreational purposes – not knowing I was about to see the worst demonstration on how not to board a boat?! The speed boat put its pointed bow up to the dock, and the blonde simply stepped down to on it, her rubber soled shoe slipping quickly on the wet bow, her body spinning sharply forward 180 degrees, her head going straight down into the hold. I just knew she’d broken her neck, but when we hollered at the driver, he said she was okay. True, he could see her head, while all we could see were feet and legs sticking out, but they weren’t moving. Maybe she didn’t want to stand up in front of us, but she finally did, and we all applauded. Captain Bob said that the silicones broke her fall, but offered to check them for leaks.

Back to us - we had almost a full boat, but no other singles. The Skipper had brought two daughters for the day – a galley girl and a mascot. I don’t know whether Captain Bob was impressed with my diving and Pony bottle, or just confident in his insurance, but he must have told Jim, the day’s First Mate, to cut me slack, as neither minded me giant striding alone. And this was a day of really good diving. I was curious how I’d do below the thermocline this time, as I’d balked last time I’d encountered it, and at 82 feet – it was cold, but I was fine. I looked at my wristband thermometer, only to see it was no longer with me; my computer slowly registered down to 55 F, and I think it bottomed out before I gave up on the cold. When I went for the warmer shallows, I discovered an underwater jungle – plants in all shapes and colors, reds, greens, yellows,
and maybe some others. Mind boggling.

Catalina diving seems to be popular with Phoenix and West Coast folks, an east of the Rockies divers is a bit of a rarity. The other divers who’d driver cars to the ferry terminal seemed a little curious about this fly in single, and we enjoyed some nice chats between dives and eats, as well as with Jim’s soon to join my Marine Corp daughter along for the day. At the end of the day, I was tempted to call Delta and the inn about possibly extending for another dive day, or – maybe I could just move, and run for state governor, but I stuck to my plan, tipped the crew well, loaded gear in bags, and said so long until next time.

Back to the Seaport Vill

I’d failed to coordinate my return with Raul, instead simply calling the inn for a ride, but I don’t think the fellow on duty understood English too well, that – or my mumbling? I hoped he’d got the idea, and I hauled my bags up to the road, where I saw the inn’s van come by heading for the further dock, then go back – ignoring my waves both times! I soon followed in a cab, finding Charley now on hand, and presented him with the $10 cab receipt. He said he’d look into it; one of those lost causes.

I rinsed my gear, hung it up to dry, booked my return reservation with Super Shuttle for the next evening, caught a quick nap, and strolled out to town for a while, but didn’t last long out. I relaxed in the room until 24 hours before my flight, then called Delta to arrange for my Courtesy Upgrade. After a good nights sleep, I packed my bags Sunday, took them to the desk for storage, complained again about the missed ride, and just ignored the sign explaining storage fees. This time I arranged directly with Raul to be transported to the dock around 6:30 that evening, then set out to see more than the town and dock.

Off Gassing Day

I strolled into town, then finally sought a booking on the early afternoon tour to the other end of the island and Two Harbors, but it was already full. Here again, I should have asked Raul, as he would have sent me and his wife in their car for the same money, but I settled for the Sky Line Tour to the airport and back. An interestingly narrated tour with some breathtaking roads without borders, then back to town to roam and pick up T-shirts. A nice enjoyable day, and when I got back to the inn to gather my bags, Raul pulled in on time to take me down personally.

Getting Back

I’d paid an extra $10 on the first crossing to sit in the Commodore Lounge, but skipped that on the way back. Won’t skip the upgrade again; it was worth it. The 8pm ferry boat was pretty full, and I thought I did well to grab a seat close to the luggage room, then catch a nap. Yeah, right! The door opened and closed, opened and closed, opened and closed. Finally gave up, bought a soft drink and a snack, and was now within a handful of dollars of spending what I could have to have had a nicer, reclining seat with beverage and snack in the quite Lounge. Next time, I’ll know.

The Shuttle was right on time, the driver knew the roads less traveled, and I was at LAX before 10pm. I know I was looking pretty shabby when I approached the counter, but I had full intention of changing clothes before boarding. It was funny, though, when the agent looked up at me and informed me that her desk was for First Class and Medallion. With a completely harmless look, I responded: “Uh, I am First Class and Medallion.” My service level enjoyed quickly rose, and she replaced a missing Priority tag on one of my bags. I was soon in Delta’s Crown Room, drinking their Kaluha, and relaxing. The VIP Lounge closed at 11:30, and my flight didn’t board until 1am, but I enjoy my naps where I can get them. We finally boarded, I had one more drink, and woke up in Dallas at 6:30am Texas time Monday, then woke again at 8:30am in Lubbock.

Can’t wait until I do it again next year, only better…

DandyDon- Now that's a very humorous account, fun to read. Glad the second day of diving with SCUBALuv went well. Bob & Tina are good people in my book (as is Don, the owner of Seaport Village where you stayed).

Sorry we didn't get a chance to spend a nit more time. I was diving with Sage and we encountered a great pair of black sea bass (posted elsewhere here).

By the way- the Garibaldi was named after the Italian soldier. The Gabrielino (our name for them) were the Native Americans removed from the island in the 1800's.

Best fishes,

Dr. Bill

dandydon once bubbled...
... We’d just boarded when I noticed a sexy blonde with nice silicones on the dock watching a speed boat headed in, and I continued to watch for recreational purposes – not knowing I was about to see the worst demonstration on how not to board a boat?! The speed boat put its pointed bow up to the dock, and the blonde simply stepped down to on it, her rubber soled shoe slipping quickly on the wet bow, her body spinning sharply forward 180 degrees, her head going straight down into the hold. I just knew she’d broken her neck, but when we hollered at the driver, he said she was okay. True, he could see her head, while all we could see were feet and legs sticking out, but they weren’t moving. Maybe she didn’t want to stand up in front of us, but she finally did, and we all applauded. Captain Bob said that the silicones broke her fall, but offered to check them for leaks...

Meanwhile, poor Tina stays at the shop...

:D

Great trip report!
You had me chuckling & outright laughing at parts. You seem to be right, that there are not alot of divers from east of the rockies. Being east of the Mississippi I didn't expect to run into any neighbors.
Those kelp gardens sure made me wish I hadn't moved back to the Chicago area. (Lived in San Pedro f/ 1 year) Unfortunatly, I wasn't a diver then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom