A Trip to Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazyc:
AliKat

The whale shark dive is a compromise between the fishermen who would rather kill the whale sharks that get caught in their nets constantly and the aquarium and one local dive operator. The tour generates the funds to feed the whalesharks (around $40,000 each per year to feed), so the aquarium can study them. They are nursed back to health after being caught, studied for a short time and released.

The enclosure is over 200 feet across, 70 feet from top to bottom and is anchored in 140 feet in a high flow area.

Remember, this is a major cultural change for the Okinawan's, who would rather just cut them up and make money.

Still sounds like a cage. If they let it go I will donate 5x the tour fee.

ToriiDiver:
Torii didn't have a dive shop when I was there, but free air sounds good!
Wow!! When were you here? Torii's had a dive shop for as long as I can remember and I've been here 14+years.

Update on local shops:
All military bases have shops with rental and air fills, Torii still free. No shops doing any organized diving or guided dives from on base, Kadena occasionally a boat dive but not very predictable.

Fathoms has changed hands but is still around.

Reef Encounters has merged with Pride Marine Sports and formed Island Club International Inc. Island Club Okinawa - offers a full range of water sports to include jet skis, wakeboarding, deep sea fishing, dinner cruising, beach activities on a private beach, kayaking and of course diving- Reef Encounters has taken over direction of all diving activities so groups are generally small and dives are not the typical japanese shop 20 minutes and up, tech divers are welcome, mixes are available, BP/W can be rented, doubles are available for rent, dedicated tech diver boats are available, full blown tech training should be available from spring on also. Full line of Dive Rite, OxyCheq, TUSA, Atomic available for retail also.

Fathoms diving on Okinawa has changed hands, but is up and running as usual. Everyone that knew Rich will be happy (maybe) that after April 15th he will be moving to Yonaguni Island full time. (launch of diveyonaguni.com to come soon). He will be offering guided dives there as well as launching a video production service highlighting both above and underwater highlights of the island. In the meantime you can find tons of info in Japanese at www.yonaguni.jp.
If anyone cares Rich can still be reached at dive@diveokinawa.com or monuments@diveyonaguni.com.
For diving in the Keramas or the main island of Okinawa contact Jay at getwet@fathoms.net and he can still hook you up with inexpensive accomadations and dives.

crazed_dolphin:
I have August 29 to Sept 1st off and I was thinking about a trip to Okinawa. Any ideas on LDS that I can go to? My wife is a diver too and she'd want an English speaking divemaster but she's lived in Tokyo for almost 8 yrs so she can wing it if the DM just speaks Japanese. I'm Japanese but I'm US navy so I have access to the military Dive shops also. Any suggestions?:)

Or anyone interested in diving with us?

TORIIDIVER I think they might of already gone on this trip :10:

When you come to Okinawa that will be the climax of the dive season. The military dive shops are good (i.e. Torii Station). However, if you are looking for a flexible schedules, transportation, and all you gear needs. Drop Reef Encounters a line, www.reefencounters.org or call 09068656303. They offer all kind of watersport services and the english speakers that work there are prior military. Have a great day and see you in the summer.

japan-diver:
Wow!! When were you here? Torii's had a dive shop for as long as I can remember and I've been here 14+years.

Update on local shops:
All military bases have shops with rental and air fills, Torii still free. No shops doing any organized diving or guided dives from on base, Kadena occasionally a boat dive but not very predictable.

Fathoms has changed hands but is still around.

Reef Encounters has merged with Pride Marine Sports and formed Island Club International Inc. Island Club Okinawa - offers a full range of water sports to include jet skis, wakeboarding, deep sea fishing, dinner cruising, beach activities on a private beach, kayaking and of course diving- Reef Encounters has taken over direction of all diving activities so groups are generally small and dives are not the typical japanese shop 20 minutes and up, tech divers are welcome, mixes are available, BP/W can be rented, doubles are available for rent, dedicated tech diver boats are available, full blown tech training should be available from spring on also. Full line of Dive Rite, OxyCheq, TUSA, Atomic available for retail also.

Hello japan-diver...Actually, my first tour was at Torii Station in 1966-1968, but unfortunately I didn't do any diving then. My second tour ended in 1991 and you're probably right about Torii having a dive shop, I just don't remember it. I always used Kadena Marina, but I know if someone was offering free air...I would have been there! I was stationed at Kadena at that time so the marina was very convienent. Anyway, I envy you being there for 14+years...Good diving!

ToriiDiver:
Hello japan-diver...Actually, my first tour was at Torii Station in 1966-1968, but unfortunately I didn't do any diving then. My second tour ended in 1991 and you're probably right about Torii having a dive shop, I just don't remember it. I always used Kadena Marina, but I know if someone was offering free air...I would have been there! I was stationed at Kadena at that time so the marina was very convienent. Anyway, I envy you being there for 14+years...Good diving!

1966 a little before my time and I don't think they had a dive shop then. '91 they had one but it was back on the beach and not easy to find. Sold more beach stufff and beer then dive goods then also. Buts its pretty well stocked now. if you are ever back out this way drop me a line and we can show you what you have been missing.

japan-diver:
1966 a little before my time and I don't think they had a dive shop then. '91 they had one but it was back on the beach and not easy to find. Sold more beach stufff and beer then dive goods then also. Buts its pretty well stocked now. if you are ever back out this way drop me a line and we can show you what you have been missing.

I will do that. In 1966 one of the first things we were shown as new troops on the island was a film showing the dangers of diving, including footage of a diver who had died. The Army's objective was to strongly discourage us from taking up the sport. Of course, back then not many people did it anyway, so we found other ways to pass the time. By the second tour, I knew better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom