A very expensive recovery!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a chart showing where in Narragansett Bay we lost it.

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 77
Here is the sidescan target we located with John's (sean222) sidescan. This is probably the same target as the one we located more precisely with the NOAA sidescan that finally led us to the lost instrument. I'd show you the NOAA images too but the NRT-5 folks haven't sent them to me yet.

Attachments

• Target 3.jpg
    Target 3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 82
Here you go.

One is a picture of the system a few months before the incident sitting on deck in new condition. The other is a picture showing the damaged wing with me standing in the background after we brought it back ashore.

wow... interesting pics.

I wasn't expecting something that looked like that. Expecting some that looked more like a "sidewinder missile" with a tow line on the front of it, and maybe a downforce wing.

that looks like it would create a LOT of drag. didn't expect something that big.

thanks.

Who is Mike? I think you've confused me with someone else. My name is Chris.

But to answer your questions, all dives were on scuba and I do have photos of the gear, both before it was lost and after it was recovered. I'll post some shortly.

Oh, sorry, my bad, had you confused with someone else in RI, a rebreather diver I know. (btw, rebreathers are still scuba, just not open circuit scuba).

Let me know if you ever need a crew or an additional divers there, I'd love to help out. Always wanted to be a marine biologist but ended up developing computer software instead.

that looks like it would create a LOT of drag.

I thought the same thing when I first saw it. :D

Its not exactly sleek but it actually does fly very well. Our old system was much more streamlined (and bigger and heavier) but it didn't fly half as well. You can see the old one if you click my profile and look at my profile picture.

We only tow at 8 to 9kts and at that speed the max tension on the wire normally runs around 600lbs so the drag isn't too bad. At higher speeds it could become more of an issue.

Last edited:
with that wing I don't doubt you can control it well and it flies well.

I was just expecting something more "aerodynamic" like this

BenthosC3D.jpg

or

SSLevel2s4100.jpg

Now that's what I call a dive report! Congrats on the recovery. Great story.:wink:

Here you go.

One is a picture of the system a few months before the incident sitting on deck in new condition. The other is a picture showing the damaged wing with me standing in the background after we brought it back ashore.

I bet that, that is the target we saw near the string of traps that had a distinct
shadow in front of it(in the Port channel).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom