A Whale Tale with a Happy Ending!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I received the attached e-mail from Kevin Colter, owner of Amigos Del Mar, a dive operator in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We dove with Kevin's operation last month (as I reported earlier here: Cabo Trip Report )

I think Kevin's story speaks for itself... I was very moved by it. I am only sorry I can't post the pictures with the e-mail because I do not have a website or a host... but if someone wants to see the photos, PM me with your e-mail address and I will forward the entire e-mail to you.

Hola My Friends,
Well, have I ever got a story for you guys today!!

It all started Saturday morning, January 10th, when we got word from Solmar Sportfishing Fleet that a Humpback Whale was sighted by one of their boats, struggling offshore of Chileno Bay, entangled in a drift net. Sr. Luis Bulnes the owner of Solmar Fleet sent word, urging us to help free this doomed, beautiful animal. So, we from Amigos Del Mar, along with a TV reporter named Armando Figaredo on board a fast Solmar fishing boat provided by Sr. Bulnes, plus my good friend Oscar Ortiz and some folks from Cabo Expeditions, Lieutenant Pino Salas and one of his divers from the Armada de Mexico (that's the Mexican Navy) and Oscar Hernandez along with another diver from a dive shop called Deep Blue, headed out to try to help.

When we arrived at Chileno Bay we found the whale (a 40 foot female humpback) completely entangled and wrapped up in a monofilament net that was probably 70 feet long. As we pulled close to her I saw the net covering her whole body and trailing behind her. I have to admit at this point I thought to myself there is no way we can do this! I thought it hopeless. It was just too much for our small group of amateurs. But we all decided to at least give it a try.

This is the mass of fouled net we found on the whale when we descended

Photos By Miguel Ortiz

The divers entered the water and swam toward the whale, Oscar from Cabo Expeditions hooked about 100 feet of line and a buoy to the net and we started to try to pull ourselves down that line close to her. She was frightened and moving along pretty good at this point so pulling yourself along was difficult. We would pull ourselves down the line then grab onto the net then using the mesh of the net pull ourselves hand over hand onto her body and then just pick a spot and start cutting. The mono line of the net was very tough and you could only cut a strand or two at a time. Also, the unbreakable line cut into your hands as you hung onto it, many of us are sporting deep line cuts on our palms and our fingers this morning as I write this. Basically, you would hold on and cut until you simply didn't have the strength in your arms to hold on any more then you released yourself and floated to the surface. As you rested for a minute the Zodiac boat from Cabo Expeditions would come alongside, you would grab on and they would tow you back to the trailing buoy and you started the process all over again.

Divers were working on different parts of the net, which as I say covered her completly. Her mouth was completly wrapped and sealed shut, her long pectoral fins were totally ensnared against her body and a huge wad of net was trailing down her body and around her tail. For all that she sure could swim though. We were moving through the water so quickly at one point I turned my head and my mask was pulled away from my face just from the slipstream current she was creating.

Clearing the net from around the whale's mouth and head

Photos By Miguel Ortiz

Myself and Lieutenant Salas, a really excellent diver, ended up working together around her head. My theory was that even if we couldn't get all the net, if we could just get her head free at least she could feed. We kept cutting the monofilament and peeling it back away from her head and finally her huge mouth was free of net. We then worked our way back along her body, pulling the net back, cutting as we went and began cutting our way through the lines that ensnared her pectoral fins. It was right at this point that the most amazing thing happened; she just stopped, whether from exhaustion or because she finally understood we were trying to help (that's of course what I'd like to believe) she became very still and just floated, breathing through her blowhole quietly on the surface while all of us continued to cut, cut, cut.

Oscar Ortiz and Oscar Hernandez cutting the net at the tail

Photos By Miguel Ortiz

To add a little spice to this whole adventure, the net itself was filled with a rotting mass of dead tuna, and several times we saw largish sharks circling above or behind us as we worked. I've never really been afraid of sharks at all, I've often dove with many sharks around, but in proximity with all the rotten fish, I have to admit they made me a bit nervous. I had a chance to speak with Oscar Ortiz last night. He theorizes that the sharks, attracted by the whale's struggles, were gathering, waiting for her to die so they could feed on her.

We were continuing to cut away at the net, I was working in the area around her eye when she actually began to "sing" to us. As we worked the mournful humpback whale song filled the water around us, I could actually feel it it vibrate deep in my body as I continued cutting the net. I think her singing motivated all of us to work that much harder.

Lt. Pino Salas cutting at the net around her pectoral fin

Photos By Miguel Ortiz

It was right about now that most of the net was removed from her body that I decided to swim back to the boat and get my camera to try to capture a few images of all this. I grabbed the camera and swam back to the whale. I got several photos of the guys cutting away the remaining net around her lower body and working on the net that was still wrapped around her tail. I was swimming alongside of her trying to get a picture of her head when, I think, feeling freedom, she sort of tossed her head and bumped me. My camera housing was knocked from my hands and I was knocked ass over tea kettle and my camera and housing sank in about 1000 feet of water.

Her and I swimming together, much of the net is cleared away now

Photo By Miguel Ortiz

Right after she bumped me, having gotten most of the net off her body, the remainder just tangled in her tail, the the whale took off, she was really swimming fast trailing the whole length of net. I found myself right next to Oscar at this point just hanging on, she was swimming way too fast for us to even try to work on the remaining net. Finally Oscar and I released from the line and floated to the surface, all the other divers were already up, she had left us all in the dust. We followed for a while, until she seemed to settle down again and some of the guys went back to work, I have to tell you though I at this point was completly spent. I didn't even have enough strength in my arms to hang on to the Zodiac Boat and be towed back to the whale, (getting old sucks). I floated quietly about 30 feet away as Oscar Ortiz cut the last of the net free and the whole tangled mess bobbed to the surface. Spectators who had assembled around us in kayaks and small boats were cheering, Oscar came to the surface waving his arms and screaming. She was free!! She was free!!

What a day!!

Lt. Salas and I with the mass of net, on the dock at the navy base

Photos By Don Hirschaut
Kevin Colter

Amigos Del Mar de Los Cabos

ps. In closing, I'm gonna get up on a soapbox here for just a second. This net that nearly killed this wondrous animal was what is called a "Drift Gill Net". These nets are terribly destructive, sweeping across a patch of ocean killing everything in their path. Along with the food fish they are meant to harvest, what's called by-catch, which to the fishing industry means undesirable catch, but to we who love the ocean means the carcasses of Sealions, Manta Rays, Turtles and Dolphins are way too often found dead and rotting in these nets. Drift Net fishing has been banned in many parts of the world just because it is so destructive. Drift Net fishing persists here in Mexico, not interestingly enough, to feed the people of Mexico, but instead to provide fish for large "chain" seafood restaurants in the United States. So, my friends, please, next time you have an urge for a seafood dinner at Red Lobster or a greasy fish fillet at Long John Silver's take a second and think about what it costs, not the few dollars you will pay for the dinner, but think of beautiful animals struggling until they finally die, ensnared in unbreakable monofilament. Have a burger instead.

peace,

I have gotten many PM's and forwarded the email with the photos successfully. It was suggested that I contact a Mod to see about posting the photos, which are dramatic, so that all can see them... so I have done that, and possibly will be able to figure out a way to show them to everyone.

Thanks for your patience,

Sapphire- I saw that story in the news but I can't even remember whether it was TV or print. On my Lindblad cruises last year I had incredible opportunities to watch the humpbacks off the Gorda Banks near Cabo.

Must admit that as a fish and invertebrate guy, I was impressed with these leviathans even though they munch my plankton and other critters. Glad they were able to save this one.

Dr. Bill

"Drift Net fishing persists here in Mexico, not interestingly enough, to feed the people of Mexico, but instead to provide fish for large "chain" seafood restaurants in the United States."

Damm, I didn't realize that I as an American was partly responsible for the bad fishing practices of other contries.

You're kidding, right? As Americans (ie - among the top level consumers in the world), we're responsible for bad environmental practices the world over.

Think Globally, Act Locally.

(Off Soapbox now...)

I'm truly happy for the great ending to this all-too-frequent sad tale.
Happy Diving,
Scuba-sass (and yes, I too am a consumer-extrordinare)

Well, with the encouragement of Scuba_Jenny (thanks, Jenny!) I managed to figure out how to post the photos that go with this story. You can see them here.

Every time I re-read the story, and look at the photos, I think of that unfortunate whale and what the dedicated divers must have been experiencing, as they worked to free her from the net. It is amazing that this story had a happy ending, as so many marine mammals do not survive that experience. They deserve our respect and thanks.

Sapphire,

Thanks so much for posting this story. It brought a tear to my eyes and chills in my spine. I am so happy that this one had a happy ending, but it also reminds us that we have to take better care of our home.

Thanks again,

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

MaresMan1:
Sapphire,

Thanks so much for posting this story. It brought a tear to my eyes and chills in my spine. I am so happy that this one had a happy ending, but it also reminds us that we have to take better care of our home.

Thanks again,

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

You are very welcome, MM1. The thanks go to the divers who freed her. Thank goodness the fishing fleet called them in time!

cheers,

You did good, Sapphire! Way to go! The pics are nice and big and easy to see! (much better than the original)

scuba_jenny:
You did good, Sapphire! Way to go! The pics are nice and big and easy to see! (much better than the original)

Thanks, Jenny! I needed your encouragement to get it done. Of course, the perfectionist in me is not entirely happy with the sloppy layout, but I did the best I could considering my computer locked up several times during the creation 'process'! I finally gave up 'tweaking' it and just posted it :)

Back
Top Bottom