A word of Caution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another reason to go thru an LDS.
Currently I am in Kuwait and LDS is not really an option for me. A local dive shop I used in the states also has an online store and attempted to use them trying to still support the LDS while out of country. That didnt work well and after about a month ended up having to cancel the order. Funny thing was that the $350 dollar order was just a small one and after that went trough, I was planning on a big order to support my LDS in the states. I was planning on ordering a full kit setup and have shipped over here, but I guess they blew a couple grand second order and all future business from me.

Certain things should never be bought by places like scubastore, leisurepro etc. Most notably, computers, regs, bcds.
After canceling my order after waiting a month from the LDS without any communication, I ended up placing my order through LesiurePro,and it went like a champ and ended up upgrading the order and got a decent price.

Another reason to go thru an LDS. Or, order online thru appropriate shops. Certain things should never be bought by places like scubastore, leisurepro etc..
Isnt LesiurePro considered a LDS? They do have a brick and mortar store in Manhattan.

Fins/wetsuits, masks, I.E, non life-support equip is one thing. But not the important stuff.
I thought that fins and mask is the most important purchase? especially the mask where you actually have to try and make sure you get one that has a good seal.

When I do something stupid, I usually try to keep it a secret. If I didn't bother to do the minimal research that is required to find an authorized dealer, and I wanted an authorized dealer, that would qualify as stupid. If I didn't bother to check the reputation of a dealer and then got screwed by him, that would qualify. If I couldn't find Scubaboard to do the checking, but suddenly found it to do the complaining, that would qualify. If I concluded that all gray-market dealers were the same, that would qualify as well.

Kudos to the OP and others for cautioning us--I would have kept it a secret.

When I do something stupid, I usually try to keep it a secret. If I didn't bother to do the minimal research that is required to find an authorized dealer, and I wanted an authorized dealer, that would qualify as stupid. If I didn't bother to check the reputation of a dealer and then got screwed by him, that would qualify. If I couldn't find Scubaboard to do the checking, but suddenly found it to do the complaining, that would qualify. If I concluded that all gray-market dealers were the same, that would qualify as well.

Kudos to the OP and others for cautioning us--I would have kept it a secret.

And kudos to you, sir, for flaming a new user who was writing his very first post. It's a wonder new users are brave enough to post at all! :idk:

Like I said, I almost bought from ScubaStore too, and they ARE an authorized dealer of at least a few major brands, so I wouldn't exactly call the OP's purchase stupid, just unfortunate. As he was trying to caution people.

The problem was not so much a failure to research Scubastore; although there have been a few red flags on their customer service. The problem was a failure to research and understand TUSA and most other scuba brand names and how they manage warranties. Although TUSA uses the term "worldwide" on the home page, Aqualung describes itself as the "worldwide leader", Oceanic's website is "oceanicworldwide" and Scubapro is owned by Johnson "Worldwide" Associates; there is nothing "worldwide" about their warranties and their customer support. I mean, it is not like we take our Scuba gear and travel around the world diving.:confused:

And kudos to you, sir, for flaming a new user who was writing his very first post. It's a wonder new users are brave enough to post at all!
It would certainly be easier if they joined for some other reason than to complain, wouldn't it? If Mr. Shaefer was truly motivated by the desire to caution us, then he has my sincere apology. More often then not, though, posts like these are attempts by the disgruntled to exact a pound of flesh for perceived wrongs.

These threads are so much fun :D.

To the OP: What homework/research did you do before placing your order with ScubaStore?

It would certainly be easier if they joined for some other reason than to complain, wouldn't it? If Mr. Shaefer was truly motivated by the desire to caution us, then he has my sincere apology; more often then not posts like these are attempts by the disgruntled to exact a pound of flesh for perceived wrongs.

I suspect you are correct. He probably joined to retaliate against a retailer who has provided him an unsatisfactory shopping experience.

So, what is wrong with that? I am happy to hear of problems others have had. It gives me the opportunity to protect myself against similar problems if I chose.

Last edited by a moderator:
And kudos to you, sir, for flaming a new user who was writing his very first post. It's a wonder new users are brave enough to post at all! :idk:

I KNOW!!!! I mean chrissakes, I feared for my life as I read vladimir's post. The new user must be brave to not endure that torture. Give me a break and stow the dramatics.

It would certainly be easier if they joined for some other reason than to complain, wouldn't it? If Mr. Shaefer was truly motivated by the desire to caution us, then he has my sincere apology; more often then not posts like these are attempts by the disgruntled to exact a pound of flesh for perceived wrongs.

True, and if he was the one at fault -- e.g., he gave them two bogus credit card #s, then complained that shipping took so long -- I'd agree he's just on a vendetta. But from his posts, it sounds like Shaefer's only sin might have been not doing enough research to know not to buy from ScubaStore. If that's because they are shady or falsely advertise themselves as authorized, then I'd say he was right to reiterate the caution. Had he done it just a week or two earlier I might not have even considered buying from them; it was just luck (and a flexible LDS) that I didn't!

Back to the topic, I checked with ScubaPro about ScubaStore's status and they informed me that they "are an authorized ScubaPro dealer" and gave me no indication that it wouldn't function the same as if I had bought stateside. I didn't ask whether warranty service would have to go via the EU though, but I'd think they'd tell me that!

Currently I am in Kuwait and LDS is not really an option for me. A local dive shop I used in the states also has an online store and attempted to use them trying to still support the LDS while out of country. That didnt work well and after about a month ended up having to cancel the order. Funny thing was that the $350 dollar order was just a small one and after that went trough, I was planning on a big order to support my LDS in the states. I was planning on ordering a full kit setup and have shipped over here, but I guess they blew a couple grand second order and all future business from me.

After canceling my order after waiting a month from the LDS without any communication, I ended up placing my order through LesiurePro,and it went like a champ and ended up upgrading the order and got a decent price.

Isnt LesiurePro considered a LDS? They do have a brick and mortar store in Manhattan.

I thought that fins and mask is the most important purchase? especially the mask where you actually have to try and make sure you get one that has a good seal.

Obviously there are exceptions. However...30 seconds of searching found these guys

Kuwait Mantas Scuba Diving Club, Kuwait

I've no idea of course where they are in relation to you but I've a feeling that anywhere theres is a reasonably sized city with water nearby..there's gonna be a dive shop. That's based on nothing more than a gut feeling, so..

Leisurepro might be considered an LDS to people in manhattan. but is it really an LDS to someone in Kuwait? is a shop in kuwait considered an LDS to me in WI? I don't think so

There's a difference between a shop like LP that offers everything under the sun, but its really only an authorized seller of a couple, and a B&M shop that has a web portal that specializes in only products that they are authorized to sell.

Years ago..LP had a much less desirable rep. Perhaps they've gotten better. Certainly the prices are nice.

I've been looking at prices cause i need all new gear. Considering that my LDS that i bought everything from years ago has closed down, I'm tempted to go with LP. Its just that there a LOT more stories of issues with places like LP, scubastore, etc than there are with B&M shops

If i buy a hosless comp and reg set, will LP attach the transmitter? If i buy lets say a Seaquest Pro QD I3 and an Airsource 3, will LP put it all together? What about service. will a B&M have an issue servicing a reg that was bought from LP?

Edit: As to Scubastore not being an authorized seller in the US...shouldn't there have been some sort of disclaimer stating such? At the very least, something like "authorized european seller" such a distinction makes it plain IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom