Abbreviated and Belated (very) Trip Report with Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad the dives were gr8.

I'd like to hear more about the Aldora resort/inn, please.

You might start here: Villa Aldora Cozumel

It seems everyone who stays there really likes it. Just a short distance north of town.

You might start here: Villa Aldora Cozumel

I certainly like it. But it may not be the best place for everyone. Similar to Cozumel Palace or Bahia or any other facility not being the best choice for everyone.

Glad the dives were gr8.

I'd like to hear more about the Aldora resort/inn, please.

It's like home away from home for us. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer place on the water. I proposed on the pier in 2006, married on the beach the next year (Thanks Dave) and have been there twice a year since it opened. Yes, I like it, more like love the place. I used to not tell people how nice it was for fear it would be booked when we wanted to be there. Now, we generally book 6-12 months in advance. They always make room for us and take really good care of us during our stay. I can probably answer any questions about the Villa or Aldora in general and the Owner (Dave) of Aldora checks in here frequently.

Okay, I, too, have been curious about Villa Aldora. Not everyone is comfortable driving in a strange place. Some people might prefer a trip where you hit the airport, shuttle to the resort, stay there & dive all week, shuttle back to the airport & fly home, all without renting a car and driving.

This means either an A.I. place (e.g.: CocoView, Roatan; an option at Hotel Cozumel), or at least a good restaurant on grounds or a few very close, or easy walking distance to restaurants or grocery stores and a kitchen at the room. I notice from the site Ron Lee linked rooms have either a kitchen or kitchenette.

So, if one stays at Villa Aldora, is a car needed? What are the 'car-less' eating options?

Richard.

drrich2, I have not rented a car when I stay at Villa Aldora.

In the morning I taxi to town to eat at my favorite place near the Navy complex. When I stayed in a room with a kitchen (not all rooms have a kitchen) I would cook breakfast.

Walk or taxi to town in the evening.

Eat during the beach surface interval.

This means either an A.I. place (e.g.: CocoView, Roatan; an option at Hotel Cozumel), or at least a good restaurant on grounds or a few very close, or easy walking distance to restaurants or grocery stores and a kitchen at the room. I notice from the site Ron Lee linked rooms have either a kitchen or kitchenette.

There is a smallish Grocery store called Sedena (with safe ATM) that you can get supplies from. Sedena is on the corner of the airport road and the waterfront or about half way on your walk into El Centro. There are bikes you can use at the Villa as well. Brent and or Debbie that run the Villa can take you (as their time permits) to town and the Mega and you can taxi back at the beginning of your stay.

So, if one stays at Villa Aldora, is a car needed? What are the 'car-less' eating options?

We never do a car anymore. Its a nice 20 minute walk to town along the water (you'll pass the Mexican Presidential vacation house). If dressed nice and not wanting to walk its $4 each way for a taxi. You can also have food delivered. There are menus at the Villa. On our day off Brent arranges a taxi van that is about the same price as renting a car without the hassle of driving.
Link to previous post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/451492-beech-bar-crawl-3-22-13-a.html

Richard.

See above in blue
Link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/451492-beech-bar-crawl-3-22-13-a.html

Last edited:
the little internet/breakfast cafe just south of the Navy base, across from the Costa Brava? If so, I love that place.

Rock n Java. It took me that long to remember the name.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2015 at 04:34 PM ----------

If you stay at Villa Aldora there are at least two suites that have two bedrooms. Two level with the lower having the kitchen and living room.

Very nice.

Yes. Rock N Java. I love that place.

Staying at the Aldora and diving with them is definitely on my Lionfish Container (bucket) List.

I also love the Costa Brava Inn Cozumel across the street. Wonderful gardens and cheap accommodations, a perfect diver's hotel. If all else are full, I recommend it. And the Costa Brava and Rock N Java are not too far a walk to the Comida Casera home in town. Another wonderful find.

Lots of good stuff - sorry I haven't been back to scubaboard in a few days.

Re: Villa Aldora. I never saw anything except for tying up to pick up a diver in the AM and drop off after diving. But it didn't strike me as too far away from town for a nice walk, and I expect taxis are plentiful if not excited about the walk. And the folks managing the place at the time were very friendly (there was a couple staying temporarily - the "regular" hosts were on vacation in Europe) - the last day I dove, we dove with the woman who was helping manage in the regular managers' absence. Looked like a pleasant property but it is not a resort in the sense that there's a beach & restaurant there. It did look like there might be some decent snorkling off the property. I stayed outside of town, northside, several blocks east of "town" in a place I found through airbnb. I would definitely consider staying at Villa Aldora when I go back with family, but I was on my own and just needed a simple room within walking distance (15 - 20 min) of town - I ended up closer. So listen to the others - I am glad to hear that folks have positive things to say about staying there.

Been thinking a lot about my diving as PDC gets closer - was really happy with Aldora! Now anxious to get back.

One little wrinkle I forgot to add (and this is really minor compared to the diving) -- I got a nice summary via email shortly after my trip. A bill summary, really, but it included dive details. Listed all dives, DMs, locations, DM's recorded max depth and bottom time, etc. It was handy in filling out my logs as I was not always so focused on doing so in the afternoon after great dives and then refueling with big meals at one of many restaurants in town that were recommended here on scubaboard.com (and I used it to help draft my OP).

Sample of my last two days' summary (look at those dive times! :) ):

Aldora Dive Log.jpg

EDIT Just looked at the map again, and I suspect you'd want to cab it into town from Villa Aldora - it's far enough that you're not likely to walk it very often. A lot closer than some of the AI resorts, of course, but still outside of central San Miguel by a bit.

Back
Top Bottom