About Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraker97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a new diver, and a young one to, (one of the lowest ages allowed to be certified),
I would just like to know, SHOULD I WAIT TO BUY EQUIPMENT?
I've had friends and family tell me wait, and some told me go for it.
I would like an opinion on this subject.
thanks,
reefraker97

Hello Reefraker97,

You don't mention your age,but if the "97"in your name is your year of birth,Your cert. is junior OW,so your under 15.I would say,yes wait with all the gear you grow out off within 6-12months.
You can buy a reg.and computer.But a suit or BCD is something that needs to fit WELL,
so if I where you I would rent those untill I stoped growing.

hope it helps,

300bar

Last edited:
There are pros and cons either way...

Buy now - You get "your gear" for all your first dives. This should increase your comfort factor and reduce the number of variables. You use the same stuff on every dive - no worries about your favorite reg or BC being rented out to someone else. You'll be more relaxed and should have more fun.

Buy later - You get a chance to see what type of diving you will be doing. You get to see (and hopefully try) other makes and/or models of gear. You get a broader base of experience from which you can base your decisions on purchase.

This is not an easy choice, but if you are as young as we figure I would be inclined to wait a bit. I'm not sure where you are in Florida, but there are lots of dive shops around. You might want to visit some other shops and see what they offer - rent some stuff, take it diving and see what you like.

Above all - you need to dive! You can't make good, informed decisions unless you get some experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and i will follow your advice. Waiting sounds like a good idea.
and thanks to 300bar for the tip about being an sb member

reefraker97

We all have growth spurts. You grow a bit then you slow down for a time. If you are at the beginning of one of those spurts then the equipment will probably last you a couple of years or more because BCDs are adjustable to a degree and that is going to be your primary deal with fitting stuff. The other things are not really an issue. I would go ahead and get your own BCD even if it lasts only a couple of years. There are relatively inexpensive...in the $350 range and are good BCDs. They just don't have all of the bells and whistles. Get a good inexpensive BCD and buy one new as opposed to used...Just my 2 cents....
By the way...If you haven't taken classes yet, I would wait to see how you like diving before buying. Otherwise get the BCD....

Reefraker97, think you have made th right descion, wait until you have done a few more dives. Find out what sort of diving you like & make a note of the rental gear you have used & liked, & more importantly what you dont like. When oyu ocme to own your own gear you already have a shortlist of items that you feel comfortable with.

i am starting to make a short list of the BCD's I like. I think my favorite is the scuba pro
classic, or the mares icon.....

Have a look at backplate/wings for a BCD. In theory if one fits you now, you will not grow out it. Worst case would be you have to re-web it if you cut the webbing short to fit you now. Might be worth a try.

I've decided to buy fins, mask , snorkel, reg, octopus, and a computer and wait to buy a Bcd or a wetsuit.

I've decided to buy fins, mask , snorkel, reg, octopus, and a computer and wait to buy a Bcd or a wetsuit.

Perfect choice! Don't scrimp on the reg; they last forever and can't be outgrown, so get the best you can afford.

Do scrimp on the computer, though. Newer and cooler models keep coming out, so get something very basic like a Suunto Mosquito that will do all you need and makes a good watch.

Enjoy your diving!!!

theskull

Back
Top Bottom