About to sit for a root canal treatment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...as suggested by my dentist, so should i worry about it later while diving?
i reckon that i read (PADI OW manual?) that improper filling for teeth causes pain while ascending after diving.
should i inform my dentist? or i will sound like mistrust?

I would let the dentist know you're a diver and concerned about possible air spaces. It can't hurt and a good dentist shouldn't mind, mine certainly didn't seem to. I don't know if there is a cultural issue where you are that might make it more of a concern but I don't think it's a situation where I'd let that stop me from mentioning it. (If they seem bothered then I'd wonder if it was the right dentist.) Really there shouldn't be air spaces left anyway, but it's worth mentioning so they take extra care.

...as suggested by my dentist, so should i worry about it later while diving?
i reckon that i read (PADI OW manual?) that improper filling for teeth causes pain while ascending after diving.
should i inform my dentist? or i will sound like mistrust?

After he/she finishes the root canal they will usually fill it with a temporary filling for about a week. I would NOT dive during this period. The reason for the temporary filling to make sure their is no infection prior to completing the process.

After this the root area is filled with a rubber-like substance. After that the dentist will install a crown or other dental prosthetic (fake tooth etc.).

I am not a dentist so this is based on my personal experience with two root canals.
If your dentist is unsure you could always call the DAN non-emergency line and ask them how long you should wait before diving after completion of the full root canal procedure. I believe you can also send DAN an email if the telephone call would be too expensive from Qatar.

My guess is that they will allow you to dive within a few days of the root canal procedure being fully completed.

I was worried about the pain associated with the root canal procedure. I experienced no pain. The worst part was the Novocaine injection and the rubber dam they put in your mouth so that you don't swallow pieces of the tooth being removed or their little round files that they used.

When I say I experienced not pain that is saying a lot since I don't handle dental pain well at all. :shakehead:

I've had at least 12 root canals over the years. I have no trouble diving with them. No worries. I did have trouble with a tooth during a dive that was in need of a root canal. It is OK now.

Explain you concerns to your dentist he will understand, I wouldn't dive the temp filling but FWIW

I recently had a lot of work done including root canals on the lower right molars and premolars two extractions and two post implants on the lower left. The only effect on my scuba was that I now clear far more easily. Tho only other effect was that I am now putting on weight since for the first time is 20 odd years it doesn't hurt to chew.

results not typical and all of that but ..

As with any medical professional, dentists are employed to keep us healthy. Speak up and ask about your concerns. If the dentist hems and haws and doesn't have an answer for you, or is unwilling to research your issue, it's time to find a new dentist.

You have the right all of the facts concerning any medical procedure. Exercise your rights. I think I have the coolest dentist on the planet, so your results may vary, but I've never had any problems talking about anything with him.

thanks for all you responses & care; no i'm done with it; actually when i discussed my concerns with my dentists he seemed not surprised at all, maybe he has heard it before but he asked (so are you a diver or a pilot?).
i'm yet to try the filling maybe during next weekend when we go hit the waters :wink:

Back
Top Bottom