ABS Backplate & Double 95's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phree337

Reaction score
I've got a chance to get a Dive Rite ABS backplate for cheap, but I'm diving double 95's (E8-119's) in the caves and was wondering if that will be too much weight for the plastic out of the water. I'm using a SS plate now, so I'm looking to shed a few pounds--but I'm just curious to know if anyone has tried this combination before. I'm currently searching the board right now, and haven't found anything yet. Please share some of your experiences with me, I have enough opinions for two people!! :wink:

Thanks!!

I've used my DR ABS plate with double 104s, 120s, 95s, 85s, 80s, and 60s.

No issues.

No need for a steel plate when you are diving negative steel tanks!

Peter

Did DiveRite discontinue their ABS plates? If so, why?

Dennis

I've have two DR ABS backplate that I have used for several years. With one I have made repeated dives with PST HP 120's doubled with no problem. With the other I leave it in Cozumel and dive it with a single 95 or 120.

When I'm diving in cold water I use my DR SS for the extra six pounds for my drysuit.

Jim

phree337:
I've got a chance to get a Dive Rite ABS backplate for cheap, but I'm diving double 95's (E8-119's) in the caves and was wondering if that will be too much weight for the plastic out of the water. I'm using a SS plate now, so I'm looking to shed a few pounds--but I'm just curious to know if anyone has tried this combination before. I'm currently searching the board right now, and haven't found anything yet. Please share some of your experiences with me, I have enough opinions for two people!! :wink:

Thanks!!

Peter - One would think that as much as I've seen you out diving, I would have paid attention to your gear. I'm just going to blame it on task loading and the perceptual narrowing of being a new cave diver!

Dennis - It does look like they are phasing it out...hard to find any information on their site. Speculation only, of course....

Jim - I'm jealous of your other plate! (Does that mean I have plate envy??) :D

Thanks for your input!

No need to be jealous. My place in Cozumel sleeps 8 and you're more than welcome to come down and try my BP/W. You can just about put it on autopilot and it will take you to the best dive spots. Besides I need to bring my newer BP down anyway and get it use to the saltwater in Coz.

My wife didn't use it when she was diving Thanksgiving Week but I'll get it wet when I go down for two week in January.

If you can't find any from the manufactuer you might want to try Ebay and pick up a slightly used one.

phree337:

Thanks!!

the ABS plate has a better chance of breaking due to the weight of the cylinders. you could use an aluminum plate instead if your wanting to shed a few pounds. i tried an ABS plate and wasnt a fan of it. my instructor tried one and it busted on him while getting out the pool. so im all for a metal plate of some type.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom