Accelerated no fly time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eternaljonah

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
i read a while ago an article (sadly can't find it )about commercial divers using pure 100% O2 to speed up their no fly time. now i'm wondering if there is a formula for this or a way to calculate how much benefit time on O2 give's. for example if i did a dive to 30 mt for 20min, and then spent 4 hours on O2( on the surface) when could i fly…. or use any other dive profile :)

THIS IS A PURELY THEORETICAL QUESTION, JUST CURIOUS :)

Hello eternaljonah :

I am certain that some program exists for offgassing with pure oxygen. Not being a diver anymore, I do not know of one for general use. I am sure that some reader of Scuba Board will know this. Astronauts used this idea at NASA for flying after diving,

Good luck.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I just wanted to confirm something real fast. In your table for the decrease in loading time, at first glance it seems like the effect of surface oxygen increases with the surface delay before it begins, which is counterintuitive. Upon reading further, I see that the decrease is between no oxygen and the combination between the surface delay and the surface oxygen. So for these entries:

Delay=0, O2_time=60, savings = 116min
Delay=240, O2_time=60, savings = 347min

those savings times are really between the entry and Delay=0, O2_time=0. My reading of this indicates that the following would be true:

Delay=0, O2_time=60, savings vs no delay, no O2 = 116min and
Delay=240, O2_time=60, savings vs 240min delay, no O2 = 107min

which makes more sense in that delaying the O2 application will have a decreased effect. Now, my impression of this is still not really an apples-to-apples comparison, because the total times are different. In other words, I'd interpret the following (substituting "air" for "delay"):

air_time=0, O2_time=60, savings vs (air_time=60min, O2_time=0) = 56min and
air_time=240, O2_time=60, savings vs (air_time=300min, O2_time=0)= 47min

Can you let me know if this is a correct interpretation?

My conclusions based on these numbers sort of indicate that surface oxygen is of limited value if the savings are applied to the blanket "24 hour" rule. I'm interested in seeing your calculations for the no-fly time and how much shorter than the recommendations they are. Are they in a previous edition of TDM?

No, your interpretations are not correct. The saving in the second case is 347, not 107 minutes. I believe you subtracted the 240 minute delay from the saving, that why you got 107 (347 - 240). Please note that the 240 minute delay has already been taken into consideration.

Same for the second "substitution". The application time has already been taken into consideration.

In conclusion, the saving Ultimate Planner calculates is the NET value. Why this saving increases when SIO2 application is delayed is explained in the paper.

Ah yes, now I see, thanks. Not sure how I read over that before. In retrospect, it does make sense that you'd get the best benefit out of sharpening the gradient at a slower point.

Back
Top Bottom