TDI CC Rebreather (Air Diluent) - Advanced Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I searched online for the answer to this question but couldn't spot anything so thought I'd ask on here.

Does anyone know, if you complete the TDI CC Rebreather (Air Diluent) non-deco, since the rebreather is injecting pure oxygen into the loop, does this mean you also earn the Advanced Nitrox cert at the same time? I'm aware that if you don't already hold ANDP then the course doesn't cover you for doing deco dives on the rebreather, but I was curious about the advanced nitrox part since we are using bottles of 99% O2 on the rebreather unit. I know that there's a TDI path to progress to deco after a certain amount of hours on the unit, but my question specifically relates to if I passed the initial rebreather course, could I then take tanks of Nitrox up to 100% in order to off-gas faster on my OC dives (but no deco of course), since I don't currently hold AN cert

SL
Usually, the answers can be found in the course standards and procedures.

In this case, the answer is no, you don't get AN, but your course can be combined with AN for the cert. I don't see much value in AN without DP, but then if I were you, I'd have completed ANDP before thinking about driving a rebreather. :)

He indicated he wanted to take 100% on OC dives, without being trained on it for OC use.

I missed that part, definitely pointless and adding complexity to do so.

Usually, the answers can be found in the course standards and procedures.

In this case, the answer is no, you don't get AN, but your course can be combined with AN for the cert. I don't see much value in AN without DP, but then if I were you, I'd have completed ANDP before thinking about driving a rebreather. :)

I did and found it useful. One of my friends did not.

Thanks for the input guys, I don't want this to get off topic about why I might want to dive on OC with "up to" 100% O2 (actually about 60% works better for me), but to put it simply, my physiology is different than most, so anyone saying "it's pointless on a recreational dive" clearly has never experienced what I have during diving. EN60 gets your Surface GF down much faster than EN32 F.Y.I, speaking from experience, but does depend on which tissues are saturated in terms of how long you're hanging around. Again I don't want this to turn into a technical debate, just know that I have my reasons based on experience.

So it would seem that qualifying on the rebreather does not then allow me to go use my other (oxygen clean) reg on a tank of say EN60 to off gas faster in the shallows after my OC recreational dive, officially that is. Question answered, thanks all.

Next question for you, are you planning to go CCR regardless?

Having a CCR without AN&DP is a waste of time and money.

And you do not get AN with a CCR cert.

but to put it simply, my physiology is different than most, so anyone saying "it's pointless on a recreational dive" clearly has never experienced what I have during diving
Do you have a PFO? What makes your physiology "different than most"?

EDIT: it's this: PFO - Diving with more conservatism, specifically CCR
TL:DR diver probably has serious PFO or other considerations, is not in a position or doesn't want surgery and trying to solve problem using a CCR...

Next question for you, are you planning to go CCR regardless?
Unsure at this point. As someone else pointed out, I had another topic on the go about maxing out Po2 on the rebreather to minimise risk from a P.F.O. Off gassing using a strong EN mix seems to work quite well for me, but I'd prefer the theoretical extra safety margin from the rebreather - there's multiple benefits there. This topic was more curiosity to see if I could revert back to OC but with a legit AN cert (and hence get tanks from a more reputable filler), should I not decide to purchase the rebreather for whatever reason after doing the course. PFO closure using the occlude device comes with its own set of risks which IMO aren't worth venturing down, as well as the cost - but again, beyond the scope of this topic and I'd prefer not to get other users trying to shoot me down simply because their opinion differs :wink:

I know someone with a PFO who opted to not get it fixed. He adjusted his GF and continues to do deco dives using his rebreather.

No you don't get AN with the CCR certs. And as mentioned the AN course by itself doesn't do a while lot. You're better off getting AN together with deco procedures so that you learn how to carry and use stage tanks and can practice gas switches with an instructor. That way you can use whatever bottom gas suits you and then switch to a richer O2 mix for a deco or safety stop.

I've noticed that I feel less lethargic after deco dives and think it might be the time on high O2. I'm considering getting a pony for O2 and using it on all my safety stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom