Accident, Molokini Saturday March 26th, 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99

Contributor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anybody have information about an incident out at Molokini last Saturday?

Some kayakers from my condo saw the Coast Guard come racing into the Kihei boat ramp from Molokini, Saturday 26 March at about 10:30AM. The 2nd hand story is a bit confused, but it sounded like an unconscious diver was spotted on the surface out at Molokini, and the Coast Guard ran him back to Kihei boat ramp. Apparently, nobody out at Molokini could figure out which boat he came from.

I didn't see anything in the Maui News.

Anybody have info?

Yes- My son and I were diving Molokini that morning on the Lahaina Divers boat "The Dominion". We were just finishing roll call and we noticed a diver all alone at the far edge of the crater. He gave our boat a wave and went tank up. At that point we told the crew about what we were seeing. Immediately, Levi, one of the crew jumped in and swam to the diver. He was in ALOT of trouble. Blue lips and grey skin. Not breathing. Another crew member jumped in and both started mouth to mouth in the water. The captain broke mooring and brought the boat over to them.

At the same time the captain radioed the Coast Guard. O2 was given. The diver threw up water and start breathing and talking.

It couldn't be more than ten minutes when the Coast Guard boat arrived and transferred the diver to shore.

The captain radioed to all boats in the crater to see if they were missing a diver. Five minutes later, the Pride of Maui radioed that the missing diver was theirs.

I have to be brutally honest.... This man was dead... If it was not for the quick and correct action of the LAHAINA DIVERS crew. He would not have survived until the Coast Guard arrived. I have to give credit to the crew of the Dominion- Captain Elliot, Captain Scott, Chris, Levi, Ron and Jenna.

Later I found out that we were not even supposed to be at that mooring. I would be interested to see if the diver was ok. Once he left with the Coast Guard, that was the last we knew of his condition.

I definitely recommend diving in Maui with LAHAINA DIVERS, they did exactly what they needed to do when the time came.

Wow. I just returned from Maui and saw this on the board. I dove with Lahaina Divers on Wednesday. Scott, Chris, Levi and Jenna were part of that crew. Very solid. I spent 5 minutes at the boat railing talking to Levi as we watched spinner dolphins doing their thing on the way to Lanai.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom