Accidental Tourist--Marathon this week.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetCell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy Conchs,

I have business in Key West next Thursday, but I will fly in to Marathon (Jeez, what a PIA to get to KW from TX) and have Friday and Saturday free there. Naturally, I'd like to get some dives in. Any recommendations, info on conditions, etc. in Marathon?

Thanks mucho,

...a Texas swamp (read: viz == 0) diver.

Wetcell,
In Marathon, I've used Tilden's and Hall's dive Centers, they both run a good operation.

Overall, I like Tilden's more because they seem a bit more personalized to me and their boats are smaller and still roomy. When Hall's boat is full, it's tight.

When I'm in Marathon, I usually stay at the Bonefish Bay Motel and recently Abyss Dive Center moved there (previously they were in the Holiday Inn). If you want to try them out, please be sure to report back on how it went for us.

I think 2-tank trips (with tanks included) with all three charters are $75+tax.
For dive sites, I always go there to dive the Thunderbolt wreck.

Wasnt a pain for me, just do what I did, move to FL. then its just a day trip........ Granted it was back in 84. But you got to decide what you want, the awsome tex mex food or diving. I still cant decide.

Wasnt a pain for me, just do what I did, move to FL. then its just a day trip........ Granted it was back in 84. But you got to decide what you want, the awsome tex mex food or diving. I still cant decide.

The pain is the flight schedules from RSW (where I non-stop to from IAH) to EYW. I found the flight timings to MTH far more conducive to my schedule--but now I have to drive an hour down and back for my business in KW. The other gotcha, this time at MTH, was that my flight gets in at 8 PM and the rental car agencies all close at 6! Jeez, island life must be nice. I am now beginning to understand why FL is in such a financial hole. Luckily Avis, who does try harder, agreed to leave the key to my car with the Continental desk.

Actually, diving and Tex-Mex food really don't mix anyway. The latter just wrecks any attempts at neutral buoyancy.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom