Aching jaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for the Seacure. Been using them for 13 years. The really make a difference with long dives with big deco obligations.

Another vote for the SeaCure moldable mouthpiece here.

I have a TMJ misalignment from a youth sports injury and wear an appliance on my teeth all day to keep things aligned. If I don't, I end up with tension migraines as all my facial muscles try and compensate for the misalignment.

I can't wear the appliance with a regulator, and stock mouthpieces were causing me strain and headaches after a day of diving. After a tip here on SB, I got a SeaCure, molded it, and mounted it on my Atomic. Problem solved, the reg just naturally rests in my mouth now, no headaches even after a long weekend diving!

The SeaCure seemed gimmicky to me at first, but now I'm a believer and have no hesitation recommending it.

Sometimes, for some divers, with some regulators (see all the qualifications there?) the standard hose hose length will try to push the reg out of your mouth, forcing you to chomp on the mouthpiece.

There is a possibility that unless you address that issue, even the coolest fanciest mouthpiece in the universe won't make it much (if any) better.

being a diver less than a month now i have spent alot of money. the best 24 dollars i have spent was on the seacure mouthpeice. my jaw would get so soar i would find myself taking my regulator out of my mouth every miunite or two to rest my jaw for a second. if i dove for 20 min i would be soar all day. i bought the seacure mouth piece and my last check out dive was 51 min and had no issues what so ever. another nice thing about the seacure is if you have dental work done you can remold the seacure to fit over and over again. if you ever played sports as a kid it is just like a football mouthpeice, you dip it in hot water and then bite down so it forms to your teeth. the only thing i had to do the seacure is trim off the wings as thay were a bit to long and gaged me. but there is lines on it just for cutting so it wasent a problem.

And here's another vote for comfo-bite. I used to just assume that my jaw aching after diving was because I was just a tense kind of person - no matter how often I reminded myself underwater to relax my jaw, any time I was doing multiple dives I would end up with the aching jaw.

I switched to the comfo-bite a few months ago. Haven't had an aching jaw since. And I don't even think about it underwater. Not sure why it works so well for me - but it does, so I'm happy! :)

And here's another vote for comfo-bite. I used to just assume that my jaw aching after diving was because I was just a tense kind of person - no matter how often I reminded myself underwater to relax my jaw, any time I was doing multiple dives I would end up with the aching jaw.

I switched to the comfo-bite a few months ago. Haven't had an aching jaw since. And I don't even think about it underwater. Not sure why it works so well for me - but it does, so I'm happy! :)

Hey Leejnd, judging by you profile picture, you dive with your second stage in your pocket anyway!:D

Hey Leejnd, judging by you profile picture, you dive with your second stage in your pocket anyway!:D

Can I help it if I was born with gills? :D

I have taken SO much cr*p for that avatar. Just for the record, I DO have my second stage in my hand, inches away, and I WAS blowing bubbles - you can see bubbles near my head in the un-cropped photo. :wink:

I do love that photo, tho...

I have the Sea-cure mouthpiece AND Mi-flex hoses. Doubly comfy.

The comfo-bite mouthpiece is the best that I have tried. However, you said in your post that at one point you swallowed/inhaled a bunch of water and had to be assisted to the surface which leads me to believe the issue isn't so much the mouthpiece as much as it is that you are biting down REALLY hard to make sure that doesn't happen again. The best thing to do would be to accept what happened as somewhat of a fluke and try not to worry about it...being relaxed will result in you biting less hard which will result in less jaw fatigue. Aside from that (and the comfo-bite) you may want to try: the manta-bite mouthpiece since you don't have to bite down on it at all (check out www.manta-bite.com to see how it works). Or if money is burning a hole in your pocket you could try a full face mask. Also, you may want to get a regulator necklace (I'm thinking that you might be more relaxed if you knew that, should your reg pop out of your mouth, it will be right there for you to put back in). Hope you find something that works!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom