Acid Reflux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember having a bout of reflux a number of years ago. This can be cured by following these simple directives: if it tastes good, don't eat it, if it feels good, don't do it, sleep with your head elevated, and if you are lucky enough to have sex, do it standing up.

Hi OldNSalty,

How would the inquirer have been aware of this prior to cert?

Regards,

DocVikingo

My apologies to the OP. What I said was in jest and for those unaware was in reference to this post http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng-diving/279212-medical-privacy-concern.html which has been going on for weeks now. It is a debate about balancing the instructors need to know, having informed students and the individuals right to privacy. As you can imagine, a hotly debated topic...

:lotsalove:

<snip> Drink beverages at room temp or only slightly chilled/warmed, not hot or cold. <snip>

Curious to know why the temperature of a beverage would have an effect... for example, something generally non-irritating like water or herbal tea?

I am fortunate that I do not suffer from acid reflux. Unfortunately my wife/buddy does suffer. My guess is from reading this thread is that those people who don't suffer recommend a carefully monitored diet. Those that do suffer (my wife) take a Zantac in the morning call it good and don't wonder if they ate the wrong thing.

Curious to know why the temperature of a beverage would have an effect... for example, something generally non-irritating like water or herbal tea?

Hi annasea,

The esophagus and stomach are temperature sensitive. When the temp of an ingested liquid (or food) is considerably lower than body temp, these items will move more sluggishly (muscle related) until heated to approximately body temp. As a result, contents in the esophagus and stomach may tend to "back up."

When the temp of an ingested liquid (or food) is considerably higher than body temp, these items my irritate already sensitive/inflamed tissue lining the esophagus and stomach.

The proscription against very hot or very cold food or drink is pretty much standard in individuals with diagnosed or suspected GERD, e.g., "GERD: Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease" (http://www.upmc.com/HealthAtoZ/patienteducation/Documents/GERD.pdf).

Mildly cooled or warmed food and drink should not cause any problems due to their temperature.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom