Acoustic neuroma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vickivicki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Who is diving after an Acoustic neuroma or schwannoma, The inner ear was sealed with fat, but he can equalize in flight, Diving is our love so anyoneknow what this effects in diving???

I’ve posted this elsewhere so excuse the repetitive post.
Hello, not really a question as I understand that should be answered between team of doctors and then myself. Recently I had a mri due to a slow developing unilateral hearing loss. The radiologist report shows 6 mm enhancing lesion laterally within the right internal auditory canal. This is most likely a vestibular schwannoma.
Since I’m 66 and good health I believe I will elect to have some type of radiation treatment
I have been diving with this VS probably for a couple of years as my hearing has slowly worsened to about 50% of normal. I last dove several times 2 months ago with no noticeable effects.
I really don’t want to stop diving as it has been my favorite hobby for 40 years and just recently got to dive with my third generation grandson and all my four children and their spouses.
Meeting with my h treatment team in august with another dive planned for September so I’ll probably schedule treatment after that dive. I hope it’s not my last.
I guess I just needed to write and add comment on this his topic.

I’ve posted this elsewhere so excuse the repetitive post.
Hello, not really a question as I understand that should be answered between team of doctors and then myself. Recently I had a mri due to a slow developing unilateral hearing loss. The radiologist report shows 6 mm enhancing lesion laterally within the right internal auditory canal. This is most likely a vestibular schwannoma.
Since I’m 66 and good health I believe I will elect to have some type of radiation treatment
I have been diving with this VS probably for a couple of years as my hearing has slowly worsened to about 50% of normal. I last dove several times 2 months ago with no noticeable effects.
I really don’t want to stop diving as it has been my favorite hobby for 40 years and just recently got to dive with my third generation grandson and all my four children and their spouses.
Meeting with my h treatment team in august with another dive planned for September so I’ll probably schedule treatment after that dive. I hope it’s not my last.
I guess I just needed to write and add comment on this his topic.
Thanks for sharing your story, glad you are getting the treatment you need.

Best regards,
DDM

I may be a bit late to this thread, but I have an acoustic neuroma, right side. I am an avid diver/traveler, 1,800+ dives. I'll share my story, but please understand that everyone's experience with AN's is different.

I was diagnosed in January 2014, and initially on watch and wait as my tumor was small and not growing. Then is started growing so I had surgery (middle fossa) to remove at MD Anderson in Houston in February 2015. Only partial removal as the tumor was wrapped around my facial nerve, they did save my hearing. My Dr's (neurosurgeon and otolaryngologist) told me there was no reason I could not dive again, but I just I had to wait 3 months after surgery. I waited 6 months just to be safe. No issues at all with diving. I've also have relatively few issues overall i.e. dry eye from minor damage done to facial nerve during surgery and the right side of my face (eye and nose) run when I workout... while it is annoying its not that big of a deal.

The piece they left started growing and I have Gamma Knife Radiosurgery in July 2018. No issues at all with this procedure, still have my hearing.

I've done probably 800 dives since my surgery in February 2015. I have no issues at all while diving (thank goodness!). I have never had any issues clearing or any other issues with my ears diving, one of the lucky ones I guess. In fact just back from Cocos Island last week! Another great dive trip! Palau in January is next!

Everyone's experience is different with AN's. If anyone wants to PM me directly feel free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom