Actual length of hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Specifically the quick disconnect BC hose. If the hose is listed as 18" is the installed length 18", a bit longer, or a bit shorter? In other words does the 18" include the threaded portion or is there some other difference that changes the installed length?

The 18" QD braided hose I have measures 18" or a just shade less from the regulator to the end, so the measurement doesn't include the threaded end.

If a 1/2" variation is critical to you, don't be shocked if you find not all hoses are produced to the same tolerance.

If a 1/2" variation is critical to you, don't be shocked if you find not all hoses are produced to the same tolerance.

No ½" is not a worry but the description for an 18" hose (on Amazon) said the actual length was just over 20" because of fittings. I'm trying to get the length to match the inflation hose on my wing as closely as I can, so 2+ inches is meaningful to me.

My best guess is that mine came from Dive Gear Express.

Maybe you can e-mail the retailer and ask them to measure theirs prior to shipment ?

No ½" is not a worry but the description for an 18" hose (on Amazon) said the actual length was just over 20" because of fittings. I'm trying to get the length to match the inflation hose on my wing as closely as I can, so 2+ inches is meaningful to me.
That sounds like a 20” hose to me. Find a retailer that knows how to properly measure and label hoses.

I've got a recently purchased Miflex XT Tech hose. It's exactly the right size, including the fittings. Measured from the furthest tip of the fitting on each end, it comes out just right. Eh.. maybe 1/16th of an inch off. It's hard to tell because pulling the hose so it's perfectly straight would put more strain on the hose than I'm comfortable with.

I just went out to my shop and measured several new hoses, including some BC quick connect hoses as well as both Miflex and rubber, and the dimension that was listed on the package was the dimension that I found from the end of the female fitting to the base of the threads on the male connector ±1/8".

Thanks all. Looks like 18" is right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom