Adams River salmon run 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well got a 50 min dive in yesterday, weather could have been better. WINDY, had white caps rolling in, so shooting in the shallows, added another couple challenges. The viz was a bit better, pretty awesome in the 10 or less range, but when the sun went away, it got dark.

I find that most of the dives I do in this lake, typically has a particulate layer at about the first thermocline, that clears up below that. I will be putting up a video a bit later, to show what I got...No narration though..

Very nice video and great narration. Photographing the salmon run is on my bucket list. I didn't realize it was only every four years. I was under the impression it was an annual event. I guess I have to wait until 2018.

Thanks.

All is not lost as far as viewing the salmon is concerned. Next year is a sub dominant year with 100,000's of salmon expected (same time). Next, 2016 is post dominant and the lowest numbers expected (100's) and then 2017 is pre dominant (10,000's). I shot the video below in the pre dominant year 2013. The good thing about that is you miss all the crowds (unless you like that sort of thing).

[video=youtube;rgIt0YxJKrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgIt0YxJKrg&list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ[/video]

Thanks for the additional info Dale.

I'm mostly interested in photographing the salmon in the Adams River itself where I'd like to get CFWA shots and over/unders. Will there be enough salmon in the river during a sub dominant run to do that effectively?

A good question. I know there were in the pre dominant year. Perhaps dead dog (Dwayne) can add some info.
I had heard that you could not go into the river itself but saw several photogs laying in the shallows, kinda half in half out, using snorkel gear. so... ?

I doubt there will be 100's next year, you are looking at 1000s..I was out last year as well, there were a few, but nothing like this year. Some of the smaller creeks and river systems have different years. Scotch Creek for example, had a lot last year.

To travel here from New York, I would wait 3 to 4 years before coming up here to witness it. I am from Southern Ontario, its a long trip

The folks in the river, need to have permits from the DFO, or you risk arrest

Back
Top Bottom