Adapting to different drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zamburinha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How much effort is it to switch between different drysuits? For example between a DUI TLS 350 or FLX50/50 and a Whites Fusion? Do they dive very differently? Does it take a couple of dives to adapt to the change or just a few minutes? I have very little experience in dry suit diving and all of it was with the same suit (a rental TLS350). If you have more than one, are they the same type? If not, how do you choose which one you will use?

The biggest difference for me, between my Mobby's laminate suit, my Diving Concepts compressed neoprene suit, and my Fusion, is learning how the dump valve operates. They're situated differently on different suits, and different valves dump at varying rates, so it may take a dive or two to learn the idiosyncrasies of that particular valve and position.

Otherwise, a dry suit is a dry suit, so long as it isn't thick uncompressed neoprene. I rented a DUI suit one day when mine was down, and I'd never dived it before, and noticed no issues at all.

Not a huge difference between drysuits then. So, why have several? With wetsuits, the different thicknesses are used for different insulation needs, but with drysuits, the bulk of the insulation comes from the undergarments right? So, apart from having some redundancy if one suit needs to be fixed, is there a reason to own more than one suit? Why have, as you mention, a neoprene + 2 laminate suits? Do you choose a different one depending on your dive, or do you have a favorite that you will always choose first?

Back
Top Bottom