Suggestion Add "Compensated review" checkbox to "Review" category

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
R

rmssetc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Suggestion:

For new posts where the user chooses the tag "Review" (or that text is present in the title -- if that real-time filtering is possible), add a checkbox to indicate whether a review was compensated, with an optional text box for the user to provide details.

Rationale:
The content on SB will gain greater value & trust if readers have more information to evaluate the motivation in a product review.

(Note that Orcatorch, in particular, has a very high vendor presence here and that most of the recent reviews were probably in response to Orcatorch providing free equipment. That doesn't necessarily mean that a review is biased, but it is a factor for readers to consider.)

I would guess that such a check-box would be very difficult to add, without rewriting the software in a major way.

As an alternative:
  • There could be additional "Review (Sponsored)" tag.
  • There could be a rule, "if you post a review, you must acknowledge whether you received a free, discounted, or sponsored product."
It's obviously difficult to enforce such a rule, because you never REALLY know if someone received a sponsored product or not. But you could always ask in the thread if they received the product sponsored in any way.

I think though that orcatorch has been quite transparent in their marketing efforts. As far as I can tell, they've only posted in their equipment subforum.

They have been aggressive in marketing their product. Nothing wrong with that.

I think it's pretty obvious that a post for a review of a product is a compensated review. When is the last time someone wrote a detailed product review that they purchased themselves?

Just to clarify... my suggestion wasn't a criticism of any reviewer or vendor.

Sure, it's obvious that Orcatorch is compensating reviewers. What is not obvious- at least not to me before I did a review for them - is that they have an ethical approach...there is no suggestion from them about the review content and the compensation proceeds the review.

If I had known that I would have had more respect for the company and taken other reviews more seriously. That's the positive side, for vendors and ScubaBoard, of being transparent about compensated reviews.

Back
Top Bottom