Adding A Second Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All.

I'm in the market for a second strobe which will be my main strobe (if I can rehabilitate the YS-02 I just flooded). I am looking at theYS-D2 and YS-01. The 02 just wasn't strong enough for anything wide angle so I only tended to use it for macro or fairly close photos with my RX100 / Nautical system.

If my current strobe isn't able to be saved, then I'm open to other ideas for two new strobes. I keep seeing Inons on every trip and people seem to keep saying they have them forever. What is the Inon equivalent to the two mentioned above?

I've read a few UW strobe guides, but I'm after more personal experiences from people who have used both, why they liked one system versus the other, etc.

Thanks in advance.

maat1976

Inon Z240 or S&S D2 are the current strobes to look at. Pluses and minuses for either.

Bill

I have three strobes, all Inon
  • D2000s Type 2 20GN - no focus light
  • Z240 Type 2 24GN
  • D2000 Type 4 20 GN – improved optical sensor
I use the D2000s and Z240 on my Sony Nex camera, I run in sTTL mode and always have diffusers on. In Macro the diffusers soften the flash and in wide they spread the light. No strobe is going to give you wide and distance.

The D2000 Type 4 is used on a POS Lumix
FT5, and work fine.

Overall the strobes are a good size for travel, they take AA battery's, I use eneloop rechargeable batteries and get 4 dives in a day and have never had flat batteries, say 200-300 photos.

_DSC1675-CR.jpg

_DSC1962-CR.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom