Adios Batteries, Meds and Cosmetics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont understand why someone would need their epi pen for a 4 hour flight out of winter...where are the bees coming from on our flight?

some of us can be in a bad way with spiders too...... better safe than dead...

My wife likes to bring a bunch of stuff in a carry on, that I do not understand, cosmetics and medicine or medicinal items, included. I dont understand why someone would need their epi pen for a 4 hour flight out of winter...where are the bees coming from on our flight? A full line of mascaras etc, why, you dont need it, you will have your luggage again like 4 hours. I dont worry about bringing my razor or toothbrush, I will just buy them if I need them

So that being said, to bring full packs of unopened batteries, in my carry on, is just asking for trouble. I would imagine the metal cylinders would not stand out in the xray at all!!

We buy whatever shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, paste, sunscreen, etc., we need when we get there. So much easier.

I carry an epi pen ALL the time. Not everyone who carries one does so for bee or insect bites. I've got a severe food allergy and it happens to be to something that's found as an ingredient in a lot of stuff, and from experience I can tell you it's not always clear on a label... if you even get a label with whatever you're eating... never had to use it on a flight yet, but much better safe than sorry.

Carrying needed meds in carry-on bags makes sense. You might not be able to replace them at your destination. Just make sure they're packed properly so they won't be confiscated and you'll have no problems.

Rules on batteries, lighters and matches seem to change periodically and by destination. Always best to travel with the minimal you'll need (so you won't care as much if they're taken from you), check out "the rules" for departure from the country you're going to, and then just go with the flow.

What gets me is being in the security line in a foreign country and hearing the American in front of me arguing TSA rules with the security people. Some people just don't seem to get that when they leave the US, US rules for anything really don't matter. That goes for airport security, traffic rules, local laws, etc., etc. They just need to get it through their heads that they aren't in the US anymore. No point getting angry at anyone, it's just part of traveling.

some of us can be in a bad way with spiders too...... better safe than dead...
And the OP who asked where the bees came from in winter? Maybe they flew in the plane when it took off from Cozumel or somewhere else warm and are still hanging around somewhere.

Still, wouldn't the plane's first-aid kit have epinephrine?

I'll answer that with a big no, now that I've done my research:
The sealed First Aid Kit aboard each aircraft is to be used in a situation requiring items not available in the Flight Attendant Pouch. When this occurs, it will be noted on the Flight Attendant Report of Irregularity. Each kit will be sealed with either a leaded wire seal and/or tape seal.
Contents of the First Aid Kit:

• Adhesive bandage compresses, 1 inch (16)
  • Antiseptic swabs (20)
  • Ammonia inhalants (10)
  • 4" Compress bandages (8)
  • Triangular bandages compresses, 40 inch (5)
  • Arm splint, noninflatable (1)
  • Leg splint, noninflatable (1)
  • Roller bandage, 4 inch (4)
  • Adhesive tape, 1 inch standard roll (2)
  • Bandage scissors (1)

Why even bother?

So I can completely understand why people subject to anaphylactic shock from allergies would want to keep their epi-pens close by. Also, checking them in doesn't guarantee they'll be there upon arrival, so just like any other necessary medication, they should be carried on the plane and it would be ridiculous for any airport personnel to confiscate them. If that happened to me, I would insist on speaking to a supervisor. At the least, one could request they be kept on the plane in the supervision of a flight attendant, if security was really worried about someone hijacking a plane with a 1" needle.

I'll answer that with a big no, now that I've done my research:
And now that I've done more research, I'll amend my answer:

All aircraft are equipped with one Emergency Medical Kit. This kit is to be used by or under supervision of a licensed MD or DO physician only, (Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine). Credentials must be checked prior to opening the kit.
Unauthorized opening of the kit by an airline employee may subject such employee to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
The Emergency Medical kit is located on the flightdeck and contains no narcotics. Contents of the Emergency Medical Kit:

• Sphygmomanometer (1)
  • Stethoscope (1)
  • Airways, oropharyngeal (3 sizes) (3)
  • Syringes (4)
  • Needles (6)
  • 50% Dextrose injection 50cc (1)
  • Epinephrine 1:1000 (2)
  • Diphenhydramine HC1 injection (2)
  • Nitroglycerin tablets (10)
  • Protective latex gloves (1)
  • Basic Instructions (1)

So it seems like you may not need to bring your epi-pens as epinephrine is included on every commercial flight. However, you may need to bring your own doctor aboard!

Thanks for providing the list of the airlines emergency medical kit. I am curious though about the MD or DO requirement. If there is not one present on the flight(or they don't 'fess up to being one) I would hope that and EMT or RN would be able to utilize this kit-especially for the treatment of aggressive, fast acting reactions i.e. anaphylaxis and hypoglycemic crisis'.

I should add that I have never encountered a problem with my carry on contents while in Cozumel. It is interesting though that the security personnel inspected my dive torch light and camera batteries and put them back in my carry-on bag and sent me on my way. I witnessed other passengers who were not so fortunate. I don't think most people begrudge the airport security in Coz, the grievances seem to lie with the lack of consistency, enforcement and dissemination of information.

Thanks for providing the list of the airlines emergency medical kit. I am curious though about the MD or DO requirement. If there is not one present on the flight(or they don't 'fess up to being one) I would hope that and EMT or RN would be able to utilize this kit-especially for the treatment of aggressive, fast acting reactions i.e. anaphylaxis and hypoglycemic crisis'.

I should add that I have never encountered a problem with my carry on contents while in Cozumel. It is interesting though that the security personnel inspected my dive torch light and camera batteries and put them back in my carry-on bag and sent me on my way. I witnessed other passengers who were not so fortunate. I don't think most people begrudge the airport security in Coz, the grievances seem to lie with the lack of consistency, enforcement and dissemination of information.
It's all in the attitude. Before I approach security, I focus all my telepathic brain waves on making them feel safe and secure, and they wave me through. People with negative vibes have no business flying in the first place.

Given how difficult it is to access the flight deck mid-flight (unless the pilot has to pee), you'd think the narcotic-free first-aid kit could be kept in the cabin instead. Would it be that hard to train a flight attendant how and when to adminster epinephrine?

Except for the rechargeable ones for my video camera I never carry batteries out of Cozumel. They are very dense (gotta watch that bag weight) and the dive shops appreciate getting my leftover ones when I leave.

Is an epi pen metal? If not, why not just carry it in your pocket?

I had the experience of being on a transcontinental airplane when someone had a massive heart attack. I learned how little in the way of emergency equipment or supplies is carried on an airliner. We had ONE bag of 250 ccs of fluid (that's a CUP) and ONE dose each of epinephrine and atropine. We had an AED, but a simple one that didn't read out the patient's heart rhythm. Once we had started the line, given the two drugs and all the fluid, all the four qualified physicians on the plane could do was sit on the floor and tell one another medical horror stories, and occasionally reaffirm to the flight crew that no, we couldn't take the poor guy all the way to Johannesburg (7 hours away).

Reactions: Jax
I had the experience of being on a transcontinental airplane when someone had a massive heart attack. I learned how little in the way of emergency equipment or supplies is carried on an airliner. We had ONE bag of 250 ccs of fluid (that's a CUP) and ONE dose each of epinephrine and atropine. We had an AED, but a simple one that didn't read out the patient's heart rhythm. Once we had started the line, given the two drugs and all the fluid, all the four qualified physicians on the plane could do was sit on the floor and tell one another medical horror stories, and occasionally reaffirm to the flight crew that no, we couldn't take the poor guy all the way to Johannesburg (7 hours away).
Well at least you got to sit on the floor. I tried that on a GUM-HNL leg once when my row disappeared (last minute change of aircraft) and I was forced to sit in the middle of a row of 5, but the flight attendants didn't approve. Next time I'll have J fake a heart attack and I'll assure them I'm her physician. (Did you have to show some sort of doctor ID?)

My wife had to give up her ankle weights when we flew out of LAX a couple of months ago. Her checked bag was at the limit so she had grabbed the weights and a couple of other things and moved them to her carry-on. This wasn't a problem when we flew out of Sacramento but on the return trip from LA it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom